Please Help Me With My Situation

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Jace95, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Jace95

Jace95 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
    Hi guys,

I hope all is well. I have been reading this forum a lot and really like it. I am also in need of help. I need you guys to help me with your opinion on a few things, but first, here is briefly about my situation:

I graduated from Eastern Washington University last summer with Bachelor's in Business Administration and Finance with a high GPA. While discouraged at the rejections I had received after profusely applying everywhere, a friend of my family in Houston said to me that there is a lot of money to be made in trucking and that working as an owner-operator with him as a team would make us good money from which we can grow and buy a second truck and so on. I agreed and moved to Houston and started working on my CDL. I will hopefully have my class A CDL automatic this Thursday. I do have about 15k in cash in my bank account that I am considering using it as a downpayment for a tractor, and I do have a good credit score. At this point, I feel like I am at a crossroads and not sure what to do. Here are a few things I am not sure about:

1. Is it really a good idea to start out as an owner-operator instead of a company driver first to familiarize myself with the nature of the job and see first if fits me?
    2. If I start out as an owner-operator with no experience, should I then just buy a straight truck since it requires no experience? Is it worth it?
    3. If I start out as an owner-operator, should I get my MC and DOT number and start working as a team with my friend?
    4. Probably my biggest question is, given my situation and my desire to make the most money in trucking, what would be your best advice for me?

Thank you, guys!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Drive compagny first.
    Anything else is just plain stupid.

4. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
  5. Brickwall

Brickwall Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    No, you need to drive company first. Over 40% of people who join this industry leave in the first year because they hate it or can't handle it. You don't want that kind of debt forcing you to stay. Secondly, with no experience no one will insure you. Or... it'll cost you your firstborn.

Rollr4872, tscottme and Smut Thank this.
  6. Jace95

Jace95 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    It's been done before and is possible. The guy who bought my last truck is doing exactly this, but by himself.

That said, it would take me a month to lay everything out, and possibly a week for you to begin to grasp the whole picture.

That, and you're also tangling yourself with another partner.

I'm out, good luck.

Maj. Jackhole Thanks this.
  8. Brickwall

Brickwall Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    We've gone over it a few times.

Smut Thanks this.
  9. Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Iraq
    Being a O/O is a business. The type of truck doesn't make a difference. They still have the same business expenses. You still need experience with a straight truck before becoming an O/O.

Smut Thanks this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Why are you rejected from that nice cushy office job you have gone to school for?

Maj. Jackhole and diesel drinker Thank this.
  11. Jace95

Jace95 Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
    No experience

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.