Plus One

Discussion in 'Swift' started by neal79, Oct 17, 2011.

1. neal79

neal79 Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    Well I don't know maybe its just me but this new plus one thing doesn't seem to be doing much besides giving me loads that are impossible to do. For example at 1115 they give me a load to pu at 1230 that is 90 miles away and on the other side of nyc, then a 2nd stop to pick up more in Bronx @ 1345 then I would somehow need to be in SC 700 miles away according to Swift miles by 1300 the next day. All this and my 14 is up @ 1800.

Now lets see 90 miles in NYC area lets call that 2 hours so I gwt to stop one at 1315. Takes them an hour to load (i'm being nice) leave @ 1415 get to next stop at 1515 or so. Takes another hour there and now I'm leaving NYC @ 1615 or so with 1:45 time left. Best case I might get to a service area in time if I run the turnpike and cover maybe 60 miles so now I have about 600 to go and will be hdg south on I95 leaving around 4am, just in time for DC rush hour. No way will I even come close to my apt time, I might not even make it there without another 10. Worst case I'm stuck in the Bronx with no hours because it took 2 hours at each place.

I have turned down 3 loads that were screwed up like this so far today. Maybe its just the area I'm in and the computer not being smart enough to think about things like traffic and the fact there is little parking around here but this is not helping me get any extra loads.

Sorry just felt like venting a little and wondering if anyone else is having the same problems.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    At least you're getting loads. Since the the IT update, it keeps putting my PTA out 12-24 hrs past my ETA, regardless of my PTA on the loaded call, MAC 34 or the DM manually updating my PTA. I sat for 24 hrs twice last week after arriving at my final with 7 on 11 and 9 on 14.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. neal79

Feb 9, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    Boy that blows, but loads are not any good if I can't take them.

I did talk to one of the DM's today and he kinda confirmed what I thought, this Plus One thing is supposed to plan you very tight, and they are working out the bugs. Sounds to me like they just gave some computer guys the HoS rules and told them to have at it. Currently the system is assuming a drop and hook should take 30 minutes and a live un/load an hour and of course it never works out that way. It also seems to think you can just average 60 mph regardless of where you are and time of day and doesn't consider things such as the fact you are not parking anywhere near NYC after 6pm so you better have some ours to get outta Dodge.

I'm sure that because I'm in one of the more congested areas of the country and running out of hours at 1800 that is just making the problems worse. I was pretty much told they know there are problems with it but keep feedback coming so they can fix it.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  5. tirednaz

tirednaz Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Arizona
    That sounds reasonable.

6. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

"...working out the bugs..." Now there's optimism.

7. neal79

Feb 9, 2011
    Chicago,IL
    yeah I've never heard that one before. Honestly my miles have gone down so far as a result of this plus one thing. They are claiming many drivers are using only 40 or so hours of the 70 each week and they want us to be using more. Well the way to do that if you ask me is to spend less time waiting for a preplan and get on your shippers about keeping us there ours on end. Having a computer decide I should be able to cover 100 miles in the NYC area in an hour and 45 minutes at the start of pm rush and then magicly find parking at 1800 is not going to do it, I'm just going to turn that down because its a service failure and HoS violation waiting to happen.

I always get to where I'm going asap, its how to make money. I do agree many times there is too much time on runs but the plus one system needs to be tweeked, its just way too tight at least on the east coast and doesn't account for traffic and leaving time to find parking at the end.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Just received a reminder message that the deadline for O/O's to get the ELOGS is December 31st. One of the selling points was the ability to participate in the Plus One program when your ELOGs go live. Gee if that's the main selling point, no thanks! The other selling point was that by getting them (Elogs) now, that there would be less waiting time come end of December to have them installed at the very few terminals that are doing it at a clip of 5 trucks per day.

I'm curious what the percentage of O/O's are on Elogs now. If a huge percentage wait around til the end of December, are we all going to turn into pumpkins and be placed on Safety Holds due to no Elogs? Can you imagine the pandemonium if 500 O/O trucks are lined up to get Elogs on January 1st and they are only doing 5 trucks a day 5 days a week and these guys can't go out and run miles to pay the lights?

9. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas

Who are we supposed to send our feedback to? My DM, errrr , Driver Leader, just spits back the company line of propaganda about how much better it will be. He doesn't seem concerned about feedback unless I do a mac22 after plus one tries to screw me.

bluebonn Thanks this.
  10. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    So glad that on Dedicated right now with the plus 1. Guess that I better attend the class when I return as far as E-logs when I get back. One thing that I did notice before I left, was sent a pplan with open windor and drop, then get the load assignment, and all of sudden, it is live unload and appt. That is something that I think needs addressed. Driver accepts pplan because of the info, then sees a change and it can really mess up the HOS and your trip planning.

capthook and inkeper Thank this.
  11. inkeper

inkeper Road Train Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Texas
    Exactly what happened to me!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.