pneumatic tank

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by bottomdumpin, Jan 4, 2019.

1. bottomdumpin

bottomdumpin Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2014
    southern california
    I currently pull a set of pneumatic tanks. my question is regarding when I begin to unload my "A" tank.

I pressurize the tank to 13-14 psi, open the line valve... now when I open the product valve, the pressure instantly drops to 9-10 psi. With that, it takes quite a few minutes to get the pressure back up, essentially killing my unload time. this doesn't happen on "B" tank.

this used to be a sporadic occurrence, now it's everytime I unload.

fluffer/aeration pad is good. no leaks from tank or hoses.

any ideas? suggestions? thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I've no experience with a set of tanks, but I've plenty of experience with pneumatic tanks.

Is your lid gasket leaking? That will do it every time.

Tank cracked anywhere? You may not even notice a leak, sometimes they're very difficult to find.

And sometimes, that's just how they are. I know mine drops pressure when I open the product valve, but it recovers fairly quickly, especially when I'm hauling a coarse product like pebble lime.

How much time are you losing through all this?

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  4. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    There's a leak somewhere. I was having problems the past couple weeks with one trailer, tank pressure would stabilize, then start dropping steadily over 5-10 minutes. Found the blowdown valve wasn't sealing properly.

If your second tank isn't having issues, then it's something on the first tank that's leaking.

Lav-25 and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Does it do this on all the pods, or just on number one?

I suspect you may have a leaking check valve in between your line valve and #1 hopper tee.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    If it starts with the product valve open, the seal inside could be torn. Spray soapy liquid on it when open.

The other ideas here sound good as well.

7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    There’s always some slight air leak on these trailers. Unless it’s a significant leak, it wouldn’t cause your problem, IMO.

You might have a half clogged valve. Have you opened the bottom to see if there’s a rock, or any build up? Does the lever rotate easily? If there’s a sticking sensation anywhere on the movement, you likely have some buildup or a rock chunk in there.

Also, when it finally starts going empty, does the pressure drop slowly? If so, you may need to replace the rubber flappers (the blue toilet plunger looking things).
    I just had all the innerds on my number 1 pod replaced because of this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.