Point of oversaturation in the trucking industry?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TylerHarris96, Aug 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Swift, schneider, Cr England will always outlast o/operators as they have thousands of trucks and will move freight for cheap.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    M and K sales in Chicago is saying that their Volvos 145-155K are as far as January with D13 and i shift. If u want cummins x15 and manual then March 2018....still crazy

4. Young_Gun

Young_Gun Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Tampa, Florida
    Aye, I work for a Freightliner dealership in Fleet Sales. This is the first time in a long time the back order is this long (from what people have told me). We expect any orders placed today to be at least "built" by March, but that all depends on Freightliner. So maybe not a full 282 days ,but a long time.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Darwinism in the trucking industry will apply. As freight slowly gets less and less, the weak will start to fall off on the wayside one by one. When I say the weak I mean both drivers and companies. It will not happen instantly, it will happen gradually. When it hits it's lowest, there will be thousands of former drivers who will have moved on to doing other things. Some for lower pay and some with higher pay.
    Then slowly it will go back up again and some of those former drivers will stay where they are at and some will come back and new younger drivers will come. It is the normal progression of an economic cycle. Or life actually.

"Nothing is permanent. Everything is subject to change." -Buddha, 4th Century B.C.

6. blessedman

blessedman Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Doniphan, Mo

Yes. Always does. I remember back in 2008 or so the prognosticators were still saying how everything looked good but freight was already slowing down but it hadn’t shown up yet in their figures.
    The last few weeks load availability has dropped quite a bit in some areas.
    I think we are already seeing the beginning of another slowdown in trucking. I hope I am wrong!

One thing is for certain. It’s not if but when.

TylerHarris96 Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s not as true as most people believe. When Werner downsized 1/3 Of their fleet about 7 yrs ago I suspected we were close to if not on the bottom. The rates can only go so low. Companies aren’t going to run trucks without profit being made. I on the other hand I only have to pay myself.The idea that you can’t compete with the big companies is a myth. The opposite is true they can’t compete with the little guy. Despite being self insured and getting Government subsidies.A lot of Drivers talk about large companies cutting rates .Thats true in a race to the bottom scenario, but can only go so low until it’s not worth it to them.The reason they get Contracts in good times is because they can cover the freight. There’s 2 reasons Companies get Contracts lower rates or better service.

DSK333, HopeOverMope and stillwurkin Thank this.
  8. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That's an interesting way to look at it. I always it wouldn't matter if Werner or swift went belly up because one of the other megas would be waiting to buy them anyway.

9. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    well we picked up contract with feeders delivering to farms because swift drivers kept getting lost and running into the buildings .......

rank, Rubber duck kw and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    What is JIT?

11. TylerHarris96

TylerHarris96 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Are you talking only about freightliner trucks? Or is this happenning with all truck makers?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.