Portable fall protection

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by LTL Bull, Dec 23, 2020.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    So I’m enjoying my first year of open deck and learned quite a lot from many different sources. Been to many facilities that won’t let you on the load to tarp, etc. Some had facilities to accommodate that requirement others didn’t. So here’s my question, would it be feasible to develop one’s own home built fall protection? I’ve googled around and can’t find anything that could be carried on the truck easily but I did come across this:
    8F6BA921-7A7F-48D0-A298-8EDEF8853947.jpeg
    Now it’s really expensive and geared to ISO containers, but what would stop a guy from getting two stout 8’ poles and finding a way to secure them in stale pockets with a cable run between, I don’t think I’d overload the WLL of pockets yet! I know it wouldn’t be OSHA approved or allowed to be used on a customers property but for those that want you to “pull out the gate over there to tarp” it might provide some safety for yourself. I’m no sucker, I realize they want you off their property so they’re not responsible if you fall and they SHOULD provide a place to tarp, it seems the norm of open decking is to just make you move. Coupled with the proper harness I don’t see why it couldn’t be done and easily set up/down and transported .

D.Tibbitt and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    How about, just don’t fall off your trailer?

Please don’t invent more crap to complicate my life.

BackwoodsGA, stwik, Roberts450 and 8 others Thank this.
  4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I fell off the trailer twice this year. Luckily both times i was standing on the deck and not the load....going to fast and in a rush, fighting my lumber tarps on some tricky tarp load.....sometimes its just better to tell them if i cant tarp it on their property then its not getting tarped

BackwoodsGA, Roberts450, rachi and 9 others Thank this.
  5. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

How about if fall protection is not provided then don't tarp the load? Remember the "Just Say NO!" campaign years ago? As long as drivers have the "Git 'er done" attitude nothing will change. My safety is more important than anything they load on my trailer.

Roberts450, PoleCrusher and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2020
    You could create your own but it would have to be certified or you would have any accident coverage......you have to remember for "fall arrest" to work you have to be able to fall a certain distance. Now just because you have fall arrest doesnt mean you wont die.....you have about 2 minutes for someone to get you unloaded from the harness or the circulation of blood to the brain will be stopped by the harness straps pinching the arteries in your groin ..... if you had people around you to help you get out of the harness that means you have people to help you tarp the load.

Safety first of course so just say "no" if it cant be done safely!

NOTE: just for reference the usual fall arrest requirement is anything over 10 foot 3 inches....

Roberts450 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    N
    Nice thought, definitely not the way reality is sadly.

8. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    By that reasoning, just don’t have an accident. No need for insurance then

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  9. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    For all those that say “well just don’t tarp it then”, that does not appear to happen any time soon. Even if they let you tarp on the property you are still in danger of falling.

10. LTL Bull

Mar 12, 2020
    Not sure if the two minute thing. Done a lot of rappelling and often sit in the harness. Even sat in a Swiss seat I tied myself out of a piece of rope and went off a 300’ cliff with it. There’s pressure but it never was an issue

God prefers Diesels Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.