Post changes at your company during these times…

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Jun 6, 2022.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    @Lennythedriver ....numbers two, three, and four would be a good sign that something is wrong. I'd be looking for another job.

Other than that, the only real change around our place was the soda machine breaking down and having to get a new one that charges seventy five cents instead of fifty.
    The Pepsi guy laughed when he brought us our new machine...said the old one was a certified antique.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    Only thing that has changed is the pay we get. These aluminum coils keep going up and up in cost to ship. Most of those loads are paying me $1.20 a mile now as a company driver on percentage pay. Just today I made nearly $700, only downside is sometimes the backhauls are cheap lumber or whatever loads.

4. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Well, I think there definitely will be some kind of shake up/shake out in the industry the next year or so. Kind of like a turning point.

As far as your situation...
    1) Does your company have an idling policy or can the driver do whatever? First, idling is bad for the truck and it wastes fuel. #1 unnecessary expense.

2) Does your company have their own fuel pumps in the yard? That's another money saver. Also Def tanks.

3) Do your company drivers fuel wherever and whenever they feel like it, or is there a system in place to guide a drivers fueling to save the company money?

Little things like that, especially the idling is what's going to make or break some of these companies going forward.

As far as missing pay....I had that happen at a company I previously worked for. Every week not only reimbursements but scanned in trips would not be on my check. So I'd be calling in every week asking what happened? Let's say it's a bigger company and they are doing this to 50 or so drivers.

Thats an interest free loan to the company of several thousand dollars per week every week. And then of course some drivers don't catch the missing pay so it stays with the company.

Now in your case, you said you asked for the missing money and didn't get it...well then it's time to move on and I mean NOW! Start looking for another gig and choose a company that has been around a while because honestly some of these newer outfits aren't going to make it.

Coffey and Lav-25 Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I lived through the time when gasoline went over $1 per gallon for the first time. Fuel pumps were not equipped to display over 99.99 cents. They just started displaying/selling gasoline in half-gallon units until the pumps can be updated. Some stations painted a "1" before the rest of the price. There are workarounds to overcome . They will sell gasoline even if it gets to $100 per gallon.

7. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Where i lived when it went over a dollar a gallon they started selling by the liter

8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I was just little when I remember it hitting $1 a gallon around here. We had a family gathering and my Grandfather and my Dad and all 6 uncle's sat around having a fit over $1 a gallon gas. Now my uncle's and Dad are blowing a gasket over $5/ gallon. Grandpa is no longer around to see it, but I'm sure he's up there shaking his head in disbelief

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I remember my dad getting upset it had reached 35 cents per gallon. I was in elementary school. I think that was the Arab Oil Embargo.

bzinger, Dennixx, InTooDeep and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    This was changed already at a few locations as they are preparing for it to happen. This was a few months ago I believe.

rbrtwbstr Thanks this.
  11. crynub

crynub Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2013
    New Tazewell TN
    Nothing has changed for us. Company just sent out calendar telling us 4th of July vacation is on! (It’s never off lol) June 20-24 is free bbq lunch and dinner for everyone allday everyday if your at the yard. Bonus and vacay pay going in June 28 and 29. July 4-8 complete shutdown. Taking the kids to the lake half the week and beach other half. If I’m not burnt to ashes and can remember how to get home I’ll be back behind the wheel on the 10th or 11th.

no messages at all about fueling or anything. I’m regularly putting in near 200 gallons at over $1000 at Pilot with every fillup.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.