postponing cdl school

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by peach523, Jan 29, 2014.

1. peach523

peach523 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Hi

My husband and I were recently accepted by Central Refrigerated for their cdl school to work as a team after training. We are scheduled to begin school Feb. 17, but we wont be ready to go by then. The problem is the company my husband currently works for. He has been with them for most of his working life. He's a garbage man working for a family owned company, very small. He has not been able to hire a quality replacement yet, much less have him trained. He is unwilling to leave until he is sure that his leaving will not cause any problems for the company. He says he wants me to contact the recruiter and tell her we are unable to start before the first week in April. I was wondering if anybody knows if Central has school available in the spring. Also, I was wondering if Central will be upset if we postpone, because that is really the only company we want to start with. Thanks!

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    companies have people postpone and not show up all the time
    I pushed back orientation 3 times

blairandgretchen and peach523 Thank this.
  4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Central is owned by Swift. You'll have no problem postponing school. I postponed mine by almost three months. Had a start date when something came up; called my recruiter and told her so and I had no idea when I could attend. When I finally called, she was ready to put me in the next week's class.

peach523 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  5. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    Can I ask why you chose Central ? I am also trying to find a good starter company.

6. peach523

peach523 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2013
    First, we had to choose a company with a pet policy, since our child is a 9 yr old golden retriever we've had since birth. We like the school is in Salt Lake City, which is only 3 hours away, so we can drive there. The length of time with trainer is only 4-6 weeks. They have a mostly favorable reputation in all the forums I've read. And of major importance, they have the nicest trucks on the road with a very large sleeper.

7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    They won't care a bit. Guaranteed.

peach523 Thanks this.
  8. scaredycat83

scaredycat83 Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Dade City, FL
    Peach,
    Are they allowing you and spouse to train together in same truck? Does this apply to swift now as well? Thanks for the info!

9. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Necro thread.

No company that I am aware of will train a husband and wife to train together in the truck. Three people in a truck doesn't work very well.

If one is experienced, they can train their spouse, but that is rarely a good idea.

10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Actually when my husband went through school there was a husband and wife team that got trained together... But that was three and a half years ago now...

scaredycat83 Thanks this.
  11. scaredycat83

scaredycat83 Bobtail Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Dade City, FL
    Just contacted them, they do not anymore. Thank you for you response ladyk

Lady K Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.