Pre-hire letters

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WakeUpTheEchoes, Jan 22, 2020.

1. WakeUpTheEchoes

WakeUpTheEchoes Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    Oooo...Look at the cute, cuddly bear...

NOM...NOM...NOM

BURP

bryan21384 and snowlauncher Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    Sounds like a great plan :)) Between all of your leads provided to me, and my own dogged researching, there has got to be at least one company willing to give a dude a shot.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  4. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    What type of Truck driving job are you looking for? Dry Van, Flatbed, or Refrigerated?

5. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    Leaning toward refrigerated, but I qualify for all endorsements, so I will get, doubles, tanker, hazmat. With that, tanker is a possibility. The only one that I have ruled out is flatbed because I am short with a lower back that has seen better days

bryan21384 and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  6. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    You want pre-hires so you know that there are trucking companies willing to hire graduates of the training company you are paying to train you.

If you do not get pre-hires, then you might get a truck driving school certificate that will only be worth using for toilet paper.

Ask the school what companies hire their graduates, and apply to those companies.

WakeUpTheEchoes Thanks this.
  7. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    That can happen even with pre-hires because pre-hire letters are not any kind of guarantee for employment. More like a promise to consider.

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Yes, it CAN happen, but if you get a prehire after you tell a trucking company where you are getting your initial training, you can be fairly confident that the school is worth paying for.

9. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    I am going to a school in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I am not applying to easily 150+ companies. Yeah, that is the number of companies that hire out of this trucking school. Not a bad suggestion for someone in a smaller town, but doesn’t really work in an area like Dallas.

10. WakeUpTheEchoes

Jan 17, 2020
    Irving, TX
    Dude, in Dallas/Ft Worth pre-hire letters don’t mean anything because there are 10+ other schools in the area from which the companies all hire. You are thinking of this from the perspective of small market, small company. I am looking at being one of 150 applicants in the same area who all graduated from an approved trucking school. I am not discounting your opinion and suggestion, it just isn’t the approach for me. Thank you.

11. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Have you spoken to ANY trucking companies who have specifically stated they hire from the school?

Not all companies will hire from all training schools. In fact, there are quite a few training schools out there who can't get their students hired by anyone.

Don't give money to a school unless you know #### well that at least one large trucking company hires their graduates.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.