Pre purchase inspection

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by rhitrucking, Feb 7, 2017.

1. rhitrucking

rhitrucking Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I am looking at buying a used commercial truck in the Hartford CT area. Since I am across the country I was wondering if anybody knew of any reliable inspection companies in the area? I know its better to do it myself, but I just dont have the time to do it and was hoping to get a reliable company to do it.

thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Is it a company you are buying the truck from or a person? Do they have any maintenance history on the truck?

4. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    its a company. they do not have the maintenance history, but gave me the dealership who did all the maintenance. I am currently waiting for the service history from them.

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I would wait on that before you proceed. If they keep their equipment very well maintained. I would proceed. When buying anything used without a warranty their is a risk.

Shock Therapy Thanks this.
  6. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Did you try doing a rig dig report? rigdig.com

7. rhitrucking

Feb 7, 2017
    yes, have the rig dig report, nothing out of ordinary on there. I got the service history from dealership. that has come back ok. oil changes, a few sensors, no major work. I am getting a better feeling about it.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well first rule I have when looking at a used truck, no records (dealer does not count) then it is instantly a $10k less offer than asking.

That said, get a Dyno with a blowby test and have the truck looked at by a different dealer.

However I have to ask, how are you going to get it to you?

cabwrecker and passingthru69 Thank this.
  9. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    What type of truck? I thought it was a DOT requirement to keep detailed service records for each commercial vehicle? I know I do and I had to provide it for my safety audit.

10. MOGLAR

MOGLAR Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Kansas City , MO
    Get an oil sample and have it sent to a lab that does a complete analysis of the oil. Odds are the people might or might not have changed the oil already.

11. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Dyno absolutely and one thing I learned from my more recent purchase, maybe take a look at getting a dealer to do a pressure test on egr also I've seen a lot of dealers heading off some issues and baking dpf's before sale which is appreciated, but these mechanics pulling the dpf doc out are likely to pinch sensor wires and harness lines.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.