preparing to make the jump

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lonweld, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Lonweld

Lonweld Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2017
    hello, I am hoping to make the jump to OO next spring. I've been driving 5 years, so I have some idea of how the the industry works. I do have many questions, but today I wanted to ask about load boards.

Just using DAT (because it's free and I don't have an MC yet), I'm trying to get a grasp of things. some loads have a rate- is fuel surcharge added on top of that? if so, how would I find that info? also, many loads are without rate, are those negotiable loads? TIA
    load
    [​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonweld

Lonweld Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2017
  4. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Rates are lower at the moment. I wouldn't make the jump. Unless the economy picked up. But the "bull whip" has happened a handful of times. So things are out of wack.

Lonweld Thanks this.
  5. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Spot market is all in rate. What you see is what you get.

RefMata, 77fib77 and Lonweld Thank this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    If I had enough money stacked up to get a truck. I would wait till the truck prices bottom and then buy one. Maybe three months after they bottom. I might think about leasing on with some one. Just to get away from. Paying the 10k to start the insurance and it's factoring included in the company. Just a thought. I did alright pulling tankers. But the surge tears up the drive line after a couple of 100k miles.

7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You’re looking at the bottom feeder loads, you think the good stuff goes on free pubic load boards.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    You should lease on with a company that has their own contracted freight to move and learn the business before getting your own numbers. Being an Independent OO is very different from being just a driver. There's so much to learn and if you jump in now or even a couple months from now the brokers and the market will literally eat you alive.

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Are you buying your equipment with cash ?

cke Thanks this.
  10. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    If your still learning, nothing wrong to leasing onto a good company. Learn the market and the business side. Make the jump when your ready. I recommend working out a deal and getting at least one direct customer once you learn your numbers and your future goals. The stability will help. Lasting relationships are important. You may loose a lane, but you may get it back later on. Just business. Some just run the market and operate like sharks. They know the game and play it well. Some look long term for relationships and pursue to build a trucking empire. Some in between and some last for a few years and go out of business. Be careful who you take advice from. Some here have their stuff together and run fleets that employ folks while others don’t even know if you fail to pay tax estimates quarterly you will be fined. It’s all what you make of it.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I refuse to pay quarterly taxes. I pay a small percentage fee as a penalty at the end of the year. It's better than giving away my revenue to a bunch of crooks. I use anything over my preferred tax bracket to spend back into my business. Trailers, equipment, tools, maintenance, stock items etc. Giving the Feds a free loan is not wise.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.