Pretrip mishap

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by paccarmike, Jun 8, 2021.

1. paccarmike

paccarmike Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Washington
    So I rushed my pretrip (mistake number 1) and I failed to check the walls of the trailer like I usually do but during my post trip I noticed that the refer I had has a puncture line. It's not too long maybe 6 inches. It didn't puncture the reefer but it did expose foam. It's maybe about an inch in height. I know that if I report this then the company will blame me and if I don't and the next driver does, the company will blame me haha. What would yall do in this situation? It most definately was not from me and you can tell it had been like that for a bit because it's dirty, foam and the dent and scrape from where it was hit. My company treats this as a fireable offense even though it's an easy fix. Should I fix ot myself and shut my mouth or leave it and shut my mouth or tell my dm and explain to her that I just didn't check it. I typically do really good pretrips (like almost by the book) just not today.

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    It’s pretty easy to tell when a scrape is fresh, especially for a body shop mechanic. I would just take some good pictures and send them to your shop and just tell the truth.

Wasted Thyme, okiedokie and paccarmike Thank this.
  4. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Quit the company. Any company that fires you for reporting damage on a drop and hook trailer isn't worth working for.

5. Kyle G.

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Or you could say something like, “I picked up this trailer yesterday and noticed this damage. I’m sure the last driver already reported it but just thought i would make sure you know about it before I drop it somewhere.”

6. Kyle G.

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    That sounds like an overreaction... lol. I think the OP meant they fire drivers for causing the damage, as they should.

7. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Fair point.

Coffey, Kyle G. and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, I don't think it's a pretrip snafu, heck, my pretrip sometimes consisted of kicking the tires, no air leaks, gotta go. Everybody ( but me) has a camera phone, take a pic when you hooked up, pics don't lie. The gouge will probably leak air out or in, so if you have the means, maybe temp fix ( Phil Swift Flex Seal) but don't let them accuse you of anything. Stuff happens.

Kyle G., Speed_Drums and okiedokie Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    OP, I'm going to pick on you a bit. After reading your comment I have a question. Why is the next driver's word more important than yours? You discovered this gash, so if the next driver discovers the same gash seems to me that driver will be in the same position you are in now.

I'm not an advocate of hiding things. I do think you should note it and report it. JUST like the next driver would! Right?

Trucker61016 and slow.rider Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When I yanked reefers I tried to keep three kinds of tape with me. A roll of regular duct tape, a roll of good electrical tape and a roll of this---
    [​IMG]

It's not cheap, but most company body shops hate to see anything but this on a trailer. I always was able to get a roll from a body shop.

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Don’t say anything and if anyone brings it up, deny, deny, deny...

“Didn’t do it!”

Love,

The Shawshank Redemption Boys

Coffey, Jaebo74, Kyle G. and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.