Pretty Pictures

Discussion in 'Swift' started by scottied67, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I'm just making an observation here, but it seems like it is something all NEW O/O or L/O should think about.

I know there are lots of ways to spend money on a truck. Most of them totally necessary, some of them worthwhile, some of them strictly to stroke your own ego.

Yes, lots of lights and lots of chrome looks real purtty. But it costs a lot of money, and gives you back absolutely N O T H I N G in the way of pay back. That chrome does NOT save you fuel mileage, nor does it make you money in ANY way. Now perhaps the chicken lights do help from a standpoint of making you more visible at night, but realistically, if your DOT mandated lighting is up to par, and folks are too blind drunk or fast asleep to see them, what makes you think adding lights is gonna make them see you.

I am not in any way faulting those folks who want to "pimp their ride," as long as they KNOW THEY CAN AFFORD IT. IMHO this is for the driver who has been a L/O or O/O for enough years to FLAT OUT KNOW what they can and can't afford.

When you first get into a contract on a truck, it would strongly behoove you to watch how you spend each and every penny.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Good advice, BD (or is it OF? :biggrin_2552:; JK, JK)

The other thing is, why add chrome/lights/whatever to a lease truck, i.e., a truck that is not and will never be yours? If you swap out the OEM in-dash radio for your Pioneer Big Boy, hold on to it and put it back in when your lease is up. Ditto chain racks and load lock holders and personalized mud flaps, etc; I think some lease agreements state that what you add to the truck stays with the truck. They're going to hit you for things like tires or gaskets or body work or a water pump when they prep the truck for resale anyway--why give 'em more than you have to?

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    Again, someone who does not understand the contract and refuses to consider it. Yes, you are right. The majority of L/Os have no intention of purchasing the truck they are leasing. There are some others who are laying the groundwork ahead of time and have every intention of being in a position to purchase. Unlike Prime's lease contract, there is an option at the end of Swift's. It's whether you want to and how you get there. If you want to, you have to work toward that goal from the beginning...rather than wait until three months from the end of the lease to scramble for financing.

Yeah, I know...who in their right mind would pay even more money for something they've already paid over $100K for. Everybody has their own reasons.

Regarding chrome: if I want to put hub caps and lug nut covers on my truck, at a cost of roughly $100, why do you care? You bet'cha I put in on. And you're right. It is only there to stroke my ego. But I like it and I could afford it....and it's a tax writeoff.

I happened to have tail lights because I put them on my Prime leased truck. My personal experience with the tail lights is car drivers notice them a lot more than those tiny lights near the middle of the rear. They seem to actually pay attention to my turn signal with the tail lights over the wheels. It's where they're used to looking for tail lights. Therefore, it is a safety issue. In order for me to put my tail lights on, I had to replace the angled mudflap hangers with straight ones. Found the ones I wanted, did the wiring and mounting myself and now I have my tail lights...and additional backup lights.

I intend on putting 1/4 fenders in front of my drives so I can stop flipping mud and rocks around. IMO, another safety issue. I don't need a rock flipping out of my tire and hitting someone else. After that, I don't think I'll be making any more additions to the truck.

The times you have to leave your stuff with the truck are when you made modifications to install. I'm not talking about adding a little wiring. I can snip the wire, butt it off and seal it with shrink-wrap. No permanent modification.

Adding an APU? Major modification: cutting holes, drilling the frame, adding fuel lines, tapping into the main electric system, adding controls to the inside of the truck, so many alterations as to change the appearance of the vehicle. Therefore, it is spelled out in the contract that if you install an APU, it stays with the truck. I have no intention of instaling an APU. Unless someone else wants to pay for it. An APU would be a complete waste of my money.

Mr. BigDon is absolutely right, though. If you don't have the money, don't spend it. That's simple business sense. And a very, very good point.

No, I did not take anyone's comment as a personal attack. I am merely telling you my justifications for what I've done with my truck. The question was asked.

trucker_101, hunnerbunner and Big Don Thank this.
  5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Each truck is different. If you're getting a brand new truck it will be of course a higher weekly payment than a repossessed or otherwise turned in truck. When they put the paperwork in front of me to sign I was appalled at the payment. Digging a little further into the paperwork turned out it was the wrong truck-- a W900. My truck is $542 a week. Talking to another driver who leased just yesterday he said Swift has a special going on right now for the T-2000 at $450 a week.

LOVE that Back to the Future!

Oh cool I didn't know about the inside release latch for the side door.
    In other news, there were 9 single chains in the box, 2 of them were broken so I took them over to the metal scrap bin and tossed em in.
    My truck has a single CB antennae over the driver's head, that's where the rain leaks in-- smothered some silicone all around the base, all good now.
    Upper bunk is too low/close to me when folded down so I took a piece of 3/8ths inch rope and eye braided each end into the seat belt buckles mounts and got it up a few degrees out of my face.
    Looked and looked all around the truck, can't find where to drain the air tanks yet.
    Adjusted the nose mirrors to my liking.

The truck has a Refrig On/Off switch and appears the previous L/O ripped out the fridge before he left. I would like to have a fridge someday-- maybe I could talk Swift into allowing me to take it later because the modifications were already done by the previous guy.

I'm not too hip on an APU unless it were a battery bank one that could power up a 2000 watt inverter then I would just get one of those portable air conditioners and keep it at the foot of my bed area.

JimDriv3r Thanks this.
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    WHOA THERE! If you can do it, run back and get them! Those things are expensive (relatively) and can be repaired cheaper than replaced.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    BigDon: Scottie has the required 7. He doesn't need those busted-up ones. Besides: he can pick up extras if he needs them from the chan bin behind most of the shops and not have to deal with repairing them. They don't treat tire chains like a controlled substance here. You need 'em, get 'em.

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Hell I've had to fight tooth and toenail to get tire chains. And that was for a COMPANY truck. If his company will furnish them to him, wonderful.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. KevinUnserJr

KevinUnserJr Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    actually, you SHOULD have mounts on the arms for the side mirrors. i'll have to send you a picture once i get stopped. You can run coax thru the arm and up where the CB goes. Looks like the previous driver took some crap off the truck they should have left. The quote i got from Walcott CB on I-80 in Iowa was about $400....to run new coax, new antenna and a peak and tune. I lost my drivers side antenna in an ice storm somewhere in Wyoming on I-80. been running on the passenger side antenna since. and i only get out maybe a mile. =) i wanna big boy radio like Billy Big Rig....
    the tank drain is at the bottom of your drivers side fuel tank. about in the middle of that fairing. as far as your upper bunk, is there not a belt buckle type attachment to fold it 90* up and flush against the back wall?

my truck didn't have one, though, i happen to have found the specs for the truck when it rolled off the assembly line. and it clearly showed they installed a fridge. not much i can do about it now.....

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. KevinUnserJr

KevinUnserJr Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Stopped in Memphis, since i dropped my trailer, i ran over to the KW dealership which was like 3 blocks away. Went in just for a pair of fog lights, and wiper blades....ended up getting that plus a KW keychain, 20 lug covers (with red inserts and the KW logo...they're kinda slick) and hub covers for the steers. sure cleans up the look of the wheel.

scottie...if yours is at all like mine, the center cap cover (should you choose to get 'em) is the 5 tooth veriety. what you do, is count how many flanges are on the inside of your wheel, and then once you get the cap, you have to take the tiny clips (they'll be taped to the inside of the cover) and clip them on the flange of the cap. kind of complicated, but you'll figure it out. =)

Attached Files:

• 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      164 KB
      Views:
  11. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    For the life of me I'll never understand why people let themselves get taken by L/P deals.

Please don't give me that freedom crap! If you're the type of person who does, you obviously have no clue as to what freedom really is...

I do like the color scottie...:yes2557:

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.