Private carrier not for hire - recreational use only

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by turboguy, Aug 7, 2017.

1. turboguy

turboguy Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    hey guys

So I was going to use a rig exclusively to pull my toy hauler RV trailer and was wondering what I need to be in compliance? .. This is 100% for recreational use, no compensation is received whatsoever

Do I need to have all the following? Am I missing anything?
    IRP registration
    IFTA
    BOC 3
    MC #
    DOT #

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You need to provide your state.

I cannot answer you without a state. Your vehicle (The tractor...) will have to be identified as conversion from trucking work to RV work at the courthouse, filling a form to swear out a affadavit among other things.

The RV will need specific things to comply as a RV.

Also check your taxes. Maintaining a three axle tractor is very taxed and also if the vehicle uses air brakes, you need that endorsement etc etc etc.

But I cannot tell you anything if you don't have a state.

TC conversion to RV titling/licensing requirements by state - Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

4. turboguy

May 16, 2015
    Thanks for the response

I've had my class A with endorsements for a long time...i wasn't planning on converting the tractor to an RV.. I will be using a 2 axle tractor

I just wanted to know what the requirements are for using a semi truck would be in CA

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The answer is no to all those things...

Get regular plates (not apportioned) like an rv and put

Private recreational vehicle on it

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And remember it does have to be 100% recreational. If you haul a race car, or dirt bike, or such in the toy hauler and put it on a race trace that has the chance to win money you no longer are recreational.
    Something a lot of horse haulers can't seem to grasp .:)

Old Man Thanks this.
  7. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    You will not be a "private carrier not for hire" those words on you truck will just open a big can of worms.

SL3406 Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Go through the RV 'conversion' and get it plated as one, even if you use it to haul tools or other things that are personal and not commercial, then you won't have an issue. I use mine to haul different things, including cars for friends and relatives.

As far as the commercial aspect of this, even if you enter an event with a cash prize, it has to be a substantial amount. I hauled my rally car to a few events that the prize was over $5k and I don't worry about it because I am not a professional plying my trade to earn compensation through the competition.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I get mixed answers on this all the time too.

10. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    I would go over to the Escapees Club HDT Forum and ask. They have members over there that drive class 7/8 Trucks and I am sure someone over there has gone through the process. Escapees Discussion Forum

11. turboguy

May 16, 2015
    Thanks guys for all the responses

Motor Carrier Permit Frequently Asked Questions

According to the DMV if you are using the truck to haul your private property for recreational purposes you're a considered a PRIVATE MOTOR CARRIER see below

• Generally, any person or business entity operating a commercial vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more, either for commercial or private use, hauling their own goods or property. Entities operating such vehicles are deemed a 'Private' motor carrier.

But then it states

• Operators of any motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicle and trailer for which the operation requires a commercial driver license, except vehicle combinations including camp trailers, utility trailers, and trailer coaches.

So am I exempt from needing a motor carrier permit ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.