Problem Adding Freon to APU

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by PE_T, Jul 13, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I located the low-pressure A/C service port on my Tripac APU, but when I connect the cable, it does not charge. The first time I connected the cable the gauge read 15 psi. When I pull the trigger, the needle does not move at all. I am following the directions on the can and even watched some videos.

I suspect the “valve core” is damaged or is not opening because the cable “inner-needle” cannot reach the valve core.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    It has to be running

PE_T Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I do have it running.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Maybe use R12 instead of Freon?

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

The manual says to use R-134a.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Is the compressor running (clutch engaged)?

8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I am not sure. My APU is working, and the fan and compressor belts are rotating. If my clutch is not engaged, how do I make it engage?

9. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    If the clutch is not engaging and you have a static pressure of 15 psi, there are other problems. The drive hub on the front of the compressor should be spinning if the clutch is engaged.

The other thing is, these systems only hold 24 ounces of refrigerant. There is a very fine line between not enough and too much. I wouldn’t charge it from one of those cans—you need gauges. It really sounds like you should take it to an AC shop (not necessarily Thermo King).

PE_T Thanks this.
  10. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I tried it again today. I can now confirm that the clutch is engaged. When I connect the cable the gauge now moves back and forth from 15 to 21 PSI, but when I pull the trigger, the gauge still does the same (15-21 PSI). Maybe it is already full as you said.

11. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap set of gauges. Then go to NAPA and get a Mastercool can tap. This will allow you to use the individual cans of 134 that Walmart sells for $4.88. Do not buy a ####ty off brand tap from Autozone or Advance. Mastercool... Mastercool... Mastercool!

Hook up the gauges and completely empty the system out (very slowly so you don’t blow all the oil out). Connect the quick connects on the blue and red hoses and let the yellow hose dangle in a safe direction. Crack the blue knob open a tiny bit.

When it’s emptied out, close the blue knob (and make sure the red knob is closed too) install the can tap on a fresh can and screw it onto the yellow hose. Turn the knob on the can tap to pierce the top, then turn it back to open it. Use a small screwdriver to press the schrader valve on the manifold to purge the air out of the yellow hose.

Now hold the can upside down and open the blue valve a full turn to start charging refrigerant into the low side. When it won’t take anymore, turn the can right side up and go start the unit with the AC controls set to max cold. Leave the can right side up while the system sucks the can empty. When you dont feel anymore liquid in the can, close the blue knob, then slowly unscrew the can to release any remaining pressure.

Note... do NOT open the red knob for any reason. If you open the red knob with the system running, the can WILL explode in your hand.

Hook up a fresh can, pierce the top and purge the hose. Leave the can upright while charging until the system takes all of it. Close the blue knob.

Two 12 oz cans is a full charge. Depending on the ambient temperature, you should see 10 to 35 lbs on the low side and anywhere from 150 to 225 on the high side gauge.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.