Problems with Samsara changing duty status

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Life on Wheels, Sep 16, 2020.

1. HogazWild

HogazWild Light Load Member

May 18, 2022
    Yeah it makes the old 3G Omnitrac systems look good; which is scary. I don't remember CoPilot enough, but I think it had less bugs.

Garmin is the best I've used so far

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pete159

pete159 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2008
    mississauga
    I use samsara on a phone and it works fine now
    Keep in mind if you're on PC and shut the truck off you have to put it on off duty and if you want to use PC again after starting the truck then you have to switch it to PC manually again if you do not do that when you start driving after turning off the truck on PC it will go into driving mode that's not a bug. If somebody else has used the truck and did not log out properly it will say another driver is currently using the truck you have to put that guy off duty so you can take over the truck or else it will #### up big time. After you log in if somebody was driving you have to say the driving hours were not yours you should get a pop up with all the listed hours. Make sure the Wi-Fi is connected to the Wi-Fi that's hooked up in the truck. Go to the Wi-Fi settings and look to see if it's connected if it's not connected you'll have issues. Your company should give you the Wi-Fi password. It's impossible to edit driving section so don't even try. Also the administrator must give access to editing any part of the logs a company driver can't automatically do that. If you're an owner operator all these settings are in the administrator panel that you access on a PC. If you get a violation you can't edit make sure you leave detailed notes so the officer can read them.
    I'm very familiar with this app and the tech support regarding it if you have any questions leave them here and I'll try and answer

4. HogazWild

HogazWild Light Load Member

May 18, 2022
    DOT looks at locations around PC time to check for coercion rule violation; believe it or not time and distance are carrier defined. This is why a lot of carriers don't allow PC; most drivers get sloppy with it; like going towards next shipper.

It's also worth noting FMCSA changes PC definitions June 7, 2023. They are likely to bring back pre-covid hazmat rules.

Also, I wouldn't trust a ELD that, all the bugs that have been reported for years and never fixed aside, counts On Duty for a 30 minute break... By the way: you ever notice your 11 and 14 commonly end up exactly the same down to the second? That's not just a visual bug lol

I'm also familiar with their tech support... I can give at least a dozen bugs that they've known about for years and never fixed... The keyboard glitch on remark field was reported at least two years ago and is in the current version still...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Elogs are racist…… Still waiting if celebrities are going to catch on and get them banned. The old coloring books are more inclusive….. Still waiting …:rolleyes:

6. TammyH

TammyH Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2024
    I hate samsara!! It is the slowest, hardest to rely on of any ELD I’ve used. Give me Keep Trucking or Motive Driver any day!! What idiot would count up for the hours before the 30 minute break? Only used it a week so far and have been in violation 4 times . You have to keep going to HOS and refreshing it to get a somewhat idea of the hours you have left on the day. A piece of junk!!!

7. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Old thread, but still valid. We just started using Samsara on a dedicated Samsung tablet. It still screws up PC by adding on duty drive time, but randomly. It also randomly logs an erroneous location when going on duty. Sometimes when I go on duty for my post trip, it will show me somewhere else, sometimes hundreds of miles away, then when you go off duty and sleeper after that, it logs your correct location. But, if you reboot the tablet, it corrects the wrong location, so basically you have to restart the whole tablet daily. Samsara is total crap. Plus it randomly adds a previous trip number or previous trailer number from a completed load. Then this morning I had mine add a trailer that I have never pulled since I've had this POS installed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.