Proper way to adjust mirrors

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BIGLEFTYINTX, Nov 17, 2018.

1. BIGLEFTYINTX

BIGLEFTYINTX Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2017
    I'm struggling a bit with getting both mirrors to see trailer is straight . One side will look straight but other side will look off. How can i get it set up so both look at trailer identical ? both are set up with front of trailer takes up 1" of inside part of mirror,but both dont show trailer is straight.

BillStep Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Question: if you’re sitting in the driver’s seat, how are you verifying the passenger mirror’s inch?

BTW, the passenger mirror is slightly angled down so I can see along the sides of the trailer a bit easier. This can alter the rear view also.

bottomdumpin and Dan.S Thank this.
  4. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    2B759F17-B28A-4D00-A050-3C1AEECD6480.png
    I keep em about like this

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If your trailer is PEFECTLY parrallel to the painted lines on the ground while you are in a parking space or sitting at dock door what you see in your mirrors will be:
    In passenger mirror, you trailer sidewall/trailer side rail will appear to be rhe same distance from the painted line at the front & rear of trailer.

In driver mirror, your trailer will appear closer to the painted line at rear of trailer than at the front of trailer. It looks like you are parked slanted to the right.

If you try to have trailer appear parallel to the painted line in your driver side mirror you will actually be slanted toward the painted line on the driver side.

Your best reference for whether your trailer is parallel to the painted lines is judged looking at the passenger side of trailer, passenger side painted line in the passenger side mirror. Many old & new drivers don't know this and park trailers consistently pushed closer to the painted line on driver side. There is an "optical illusion" caused by being closer to one mirror than the other mirror.

x1Heavy, John A., rustyswife and 6 others Thank this.
  6. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Safety here . . .

Please return all equipment - you have been summarily terminated for unsafe parking on a shoulder . . .

:)

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Safety also sees that rear triangle is not 200 feet away. It seems someone was in a hurry to post on the TTR and had to get back to the truck.

8. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    In horrible honesty - there’s been a couple of LS drivers that had their contracts canceled due to photos like these.

Dan.S and shogun Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The horrible thing about it is that LS probably rewards snitches and dimedroppers with a gift card to Walmart. So, instead of seeing if the driver needs help, they’re more inclined to snitch.
    If there was no reward, there would be no snitches.

blairandgretchen and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  10. towmantater

towmantater Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Don't y'all worry, Tater'll be along shortly to drag him off the side the road.

But op: someone else said it, but your drivers mirror is a little skewed. You eventually learn to compensate for it.

Bean Jr. and Dan.S Thank this.
  11. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    I just make sure I can see down both sides of me trailer. Now when I back into docks it always seems like one side looks crooked but I got use to that. The main thing, for safety is that you can see a good view of the area on each side of your truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.