Proper way to drop n hook?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Jan 4, 2020.

1. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    I crank down the landing gear un till the trailer is high enough for me to hear air coming out...( guessing from air bags, but I really don't know) then I lower it back 3 turns. When I get back in the truck I let the air out of the bags for a couple seconds. Then pull out from under it.

When I I hook. I raise the trailer with the truck then slide under it? Is this right?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Not all fifth wheel heights are the same. If you got a tall one, leave the legs up from the ground an inch. If you got a short one, give it a few extra cranks after the legs touch the ground. It's not a difficult to grasp concept.

jammer910Z, Bean Jr. and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What's better Ford or Chevy?
    About the same when asking this question. :)
    Simply do what you feel is right and ignore everyone else.

Bean Jr. and feldsforever Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ya, who cares if the next guy had to bust his ### cranking them up or down. Obviously common courtesy isn't very common.

7. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    No dont crank till you hear air you want your landing gear just about to touch the ground but not quite dump the air out of your bags then pull forward a few feet but keep your frame under the trailer inflate your bags and make sure the landing gear is holding and not sinking or any other problems to hookup to the same trailer dump you bags back under and inflate

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    5B5C4C40-EEFF-4C68-B7FC-5B3F8582BCBD.jpeg D81CAB53-B50E-43E9-9A1A-99D14C0BF036.jpeg
    I almost throwed this away the other day, its several years old, and I used to get in trouble for not doing it this way, until I explained to the assistant to the director to the manager, to the head of safety, for the boss of bulk relations, my way made more sense.

All I do different is crank legs up before hooking airlines, as long as you get a system, its fine.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Reason for edit: added a , or two and fixed typo so now it makes sense
    feldsforever and PE_T Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Do not depend on your tractor's frame to lift a loaded onto the 5th wheel. In the old days we had angle iron on the frame for that purpose.

The way I approach all trailers is stop, get out make sure 5th wheel is sloped down and see how far it needs cranking until between the hole of the 5th wheel and bottom of it's plate. that leaves the frame of tractor maybe two inches below the kingpin front plate of the trailer I intend to hook to.

Back slowly and stop. Get out. Attach glad hands and pigtail. Check trailer around. Registration in bubble, bills in box if you havent go them already, seals, trailer number, tires, brakes etc.

Hop in and gently nurse your tractor under until you hear a CLANK! your trailer is now on the plate. Stop there, get out and check to be certain your kingpin is in line with the hole. Hop up and finish the hook. CLICK! Wind gear and take off.

My method may seem overly hard, difficult or too much make work. For me it's got several built in safegaurds against being over tired, stupid, in a hurry, trying to hook in the mud etc etc etc. I only jumped my 5th wheel once and very rarely make a mistake taking the wrong trailer. Such as number 1414 and you have 4141 going the opposite direction. Its a routine I follow myself every single time. That tractor and trailer does not move until I am satisfied all is in order. And in cases of Pharmacy high dollar loads, that also includes netting the trailer's qualcomm tracking to my own Tractor qualcomm and activating same. So that wherever it goes from that moment 5000 bosses are intently making sure I don't stop for 300 miles. (Meaning possible high jack etc) Which means before you get to that load to pickup, you need full fuel, food for yourself and all drama taken care of ready for the new load to run.

Just drive. Be happy. Drop and hook can be 20 minutes or faster. Much much much better than live unload in some Associated Grocers or whatever filthy lumper warehouse that takes a day to unload. Its not worth it.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And that's just it. There is no way to tell who the next driver is and his setup. Heck, at work we have identical trucks that follows me. Well identical except the tire wear. I drop the loaded, and pick up the empty, he does the same at both ends of the run. To make it easier for the both of us he has to drop about an inch from the ground and I just barely tap the ground. We can work this out working together and all, but if another truck was to hook up who is to say which way is better?

I personally prefer it to be a little high then a little low, but I also realize that's personal preference. There is literately no right answer unless all the factors are known, and they won't be on almost all drop and hooks.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    But that's just it. If you have a low fifth wheel height and give a couple extra cracks then if the next guy had a high fifth wheel height he can still get under it. With a high fifth wheel height, you leave it up an inch before dumping air and pulling out then if the next guy has a low fifth wheel he can still hook without having to crank it down first.

Cabinover101 and Swine hauler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.