Pulled over for no rear tag in Arizona

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by gpf87, Feb 26, 2020.

1. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Thanks for the comments guys . I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy because in my short 7 year career, I've never driven a truck with a rear plate .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Far as I know the ONLY time you are required to run 2 plates 1 each on front and rear in any state is when it is a straight truck or a straight truck/ trailer combo without a fifthwheel.

slow.rider, D.Tibbitt and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    The exact statute he typed out on the warning is ARS 28-2354a1 . I don't get it

He was an older police officer and hanging out in the weight station with the other chase vehicles so you would think he would be trained for us like most DOT cops

Cabinover101, bzinger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    This is what it says. As usual it’s confusing guvment jibber jabber that sets it’s citizens up for failure! B3B1B8FF-39F6-46DF-8A92-596E8ACA5E04.jpeg

6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The AZ DOT Officer issued you a bogus warning ticket.

I would stop in the scalehouse in Yuma and have a talk with his supervisor.

7. SmallPackage

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I always like how they say “except provided in paragraph yadda yadda” but than they never show them and you can never find them.
    Set up’s for failure so you can never ever be within the law.

8. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Be creative, print up a bogus form using graphics from your states DMV site, copy and paste, then below write something "It is customary for (STATE) to issue only one plate for a commercial vehicle and it is to be displayed on the front of a semi tractor." Then throw some official phone numbers on there and a DMV address, throw this in your permit book and just keep it handy. I know for a fact that Ohio actually has a form stating they only issue one plate, so I kinda "created" my own based on their form, I've heard of these ridiculous stops so I wanted to be prepared should it ever happen. And yes, you should definitely talk to his supervisor.

Cabinover101 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I was pulled over in Nogales, given an inspection, and issued a violation for "mudflap sailing in wind". Complete ticky-tack BS.

slow.rider, PE_T, rachi and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Yeah, I've heard about AZ's bogus mudflap stops too, like "flap not long enough", and during those stops for one plate or mudflaps a duct taped Century goes by with a green hood, white fairings, red door, bungee cords holding his tank fairings to the frame, and just barely enough tread left on the tires to even call them a tire.

slow.rider, Jaebo74, willyt and 5 others Thank this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    The next step is to determine two things:

1) How many tags were officially provided for your vehicle. Your company should be able to do that.

2) Determine exactly what the state requirement is for the power half of a class-A commercial combination vehicle.

I tried to contact the AZ DOT, but their webpage does not allow anyone but AZ license holders to submit requests for information.

Here's the link, if someone with a AZ CDL-A wants to see if they can get data.

ADOT - Contact ADOT

Cabinover101, D.Tibbitt and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.