Pulling Doubles, are they as intimidating as I'm thinking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kennyworth67, Dec 8, 2022.

1. Kennyworth67

Kennyworth67 Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Salt Lake City
    Howdy Folks.

I've been out of a truck for 9 years now. Prior to that, I drove 12 years OTR. I've been driving a city bus since 2013. It's easy work and I have enough seniority to get weekends off and just about any route I want to bid on. I'm at top scale, just shy of $26.00 dollars an hour. Trouble is, after deductions, taxes and whatnot, I'm bringing home 1300 bucks every two weeks and with the cost of everything rising by the minute, I just can't live on it without doing some gig work.

Anyways, I've been talking with a company that pulls Fed Ex freight in two 28 foot pup trailers. They want me to do a two-week refresher and are offering almost double what I am making now. I've told them that I will probably do it but not until spring. I have the doubles and triples endorsement. But never pulled them before.

My question is, how hard or easy are they to pull? I know you can't back them up, but I mean, just regular, everyday driving. How are they? Do you set up for your turns the same, are they easy to get around obstacles? I've pulled 48- 53-foot reefers for years and 28-foot pup singles when I drove local but never a set of doubles. Am I thinking too much about it or is it pretty easy to get used to?

dptrucker and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mnmover99

Mnmover99 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2022
    Good idea to wait until spring to start. Doubles pull easier than you think. Just make sure the heavy trailer is in front, and the dolly axle is lighter than the rear axle of the front trailer. You need to be alert of the idea that small steering moves can be increased to a crack the whip effect for the rear trailer. Going around corners is easier for a set of doubles as it just follows like a snake. You will most likely have a twin screw tractor that is heavier than most trailers. Learn how to fix air leaks and change glad hand seals. After hooking a set, do 1 more walk around to double check everything. Extra light cord is a good idea also.

Stonehjl, Dave_in_AZ, ducnut and 6 others Thank this.
  4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    They're actually in my opinion much easier to pull than a long box...with the exception that you have to be MUCH more careful with them, because backing up a set of doubles is somewhere between difficult and impossible without a lot of practice.

5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    $650/week….?

Opus and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Watch out they don't try any pay you as 1099 independent contractor. Some companies will sound great because of better pay but it's 1099 and not w2. So you have to pay all the taxes plus health insurance and stuff

7. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    For years I pulled a pup tanker behind a straight truck tanker. Much, much easier than a traditional ‘transport’(imho).

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The contractors are required to pay their employees on a w2. It’s in their contract with FedEx Ground.

9. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Do you mean FedEx ground, I believe FedEx freight drivers work directly with FedEx and ground is with contractor. And it's w2, there's no 1099 with ground or freight.

Long FLD Thanks this.
  10. Kennyworth67

Jan 4, 2019
    Salt Lake City
    Yep, I gross a thousand a week and after deductions it's 650 a week. Total crap, I know. But, it's just me now and I made it work by picking up a couple hundred bucks a week doing Uber. I put up with it because compared to semis, it' s such easy work. But, I'm ready to get back in a truck.

11. Kennyworth67

Jan 4, 2019
    Salt Lake City
    I'd have to get back with you on that. I don't recall any mention of it being 10-99 work. I'm not sure I'd be interested in that.

12. Kennyworth67

Jan 4, 2019
    Salt Lake City
    I've seen it done on Youtube but never in real life. But, yeah, I'm with you, lots of practice. That will come much later down the road. I want to learn to pull them first! Lol

tscottme and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.