qualcom gps directions and maping

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Theghosthunter, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Theghosthunter

Theghosthunter Light Load Member

Dose any one have experience with the qualcom gps and mapping systems?
    Dose it work?
    Do you trust it?
    It's it correct?:biggrin_2556:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I called on a hazmat load recently and asked them that (Swift) because the previous two hazmat loads, Swift's routing sent me through three tunnels. The guy assured me it is accurate to the shortest fastest truck approved (no low bridges, no illegal hazmat routing etc). However most recently I had a load that paid 350 miles but my personal GPS said it was 457 miles. So I fired up the qualcomm GPS to follow Swift's exact route hoping it would show me the 350 mile way. It also showed the route as 457 miles.
    I sent a couple messages for fair pay on the run, my DM referred it to the FM who said 'tough luck'. I replied I might be a couple hours late, I was then promptly threatened with a service failure if I did not make it on time because it was JIT load.
    For the most part they are accurate but it is still incumbent on the driver to check the atlas and perhaps online mapping tools to cover their tail for loads that fall through the cracks like that one did.

inkeper Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Some companies that have a qualcomm GPS you have to follow.Werner had that,I don't know if they still do.I had many issues with it and talked to the lady in charge many times who was a very sweet lady by the way.I wonder if companies look to see if their route is trucker friendly.It's best to look at their route and compare it to a truckers atlas route and if you see something that does'nt look right then you call your company right away and they may change the routing.Werner did for me.

5. skurvydog58

skurvydog58 Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2009
    we use qualcomm gps@ walmart, navigo to be exact. we've had to submit approved truck route's to navigo. in it's base format it's no better than a run of the mill gps for car's.bottom line it took month's of submission's to navigo for the system to work for us. bottom line,it's up to the user's to set up the system.

6. Theghosthunter

When i drove back in 08 the company i worked for still had the old qualcom system, i already have a gps that's driver friendly, but i have never used the Qualcomm version, makes me a little nervous putting trust in a computer
    But i have had drivers who swear by it and other that hate it, but a computer can never take into account what a driver knows and sees of course

7. Theghosthunter

Dose anyone know what system is onboard Swifts trucks?

8. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    The fact that the FM said, "Tough Luck" indicates beyond a shadow of a doubt this is no load that "fell through the cracks." This is a deliberate screw. I do believe the FM's comments to me would -not- have by any means, been the end of this issue. At least for me.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. Theghosthunter

Here here, think i would have taken it to a higher power, neglect on their part don't constitute loss on me

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    What I meant to say was the load distance is indeed 350 miles just that Swift's routing was to use the freeway system to get there (fuel route they send with the load info). Later when I had time I saw that the 350 mile way was using US highways and byways more direct route from start to finish.

I see it as a glitch in the Swift system where they plug in city to city in whatever mapping program they use and copy paste that to the load info for each driver who accepts that load. What needs to happen is someone has to go in and change the route plan so that future drivers dispatched on that run get the proper miles for proper pay, otherwise a driver could trip plan it before hand using the atlas and/or google maps or some other means.

11. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    I think the gps we use at swift is frankly terrible...probably not even 65% right and or best route to use.....i am constantly going against the gps and having it reroute until it gets it right...best to use your rand mcnally and observe street/road signs....constantly routes me on to toll roads.....seems to only love freeways(interstate system)...flat out routes me stupid!...only thing it is good for...is to let me know approx how far until final destination...nothing else really...big disappointment so far:biggrin_25513:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.