Question for Swift drivers

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Davidbenjamin, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Davidbenjamin

Davidbenjamin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    I appreciate the responses guys. I was watching YouTube videos of shifting gears in an 18 speed truck, and it looks complicated, especially since the cars I've driven over the years have only been automatics. And no, I'm not married yet. I hope to save up enough money to retire first. I believe driving a truck is the best job for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mosrock

mosrock Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Shinnston
    Swift is going to automatics, their whole fleet was being traded out for autos in 2016 when i stopped driving for them. and no i didn't wreck anything. left for medical reasons.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  4. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Most companies use 10 spds and if you can I wouldn't go to swift there are other company that will train you look around and dig into ever company ask here and people will tell you what they think the good and the bad and if you need help looking for company in you area just ask and someone might have a lead or 2

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pretty sure Wilson Logistics trains in 10 speeds, but the fleet has auto. This way you don't have an "automatic restriction" on your cdl.
    This website has information on the school and types of trucks you'll drive.
    Wilson Logistics
    https://www.wilsonlogistics.com
    Wilson Logistics is a family-owned trucking company that knows our drivers as well as we know our customers. Wilson Logistics A family-owned trucking company that knows our drivers as well as we know our customers.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    autopaint and Davidbenjamin Thank this.
  6. midgetripples

midgetripples Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2018
    last year swift got rid of the last manual training trucks they now only train on autos

Chinatown and Davidbenjamin Thank this.
  7. Davidbenjamin

Davidbenjamin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    I'm glad to hear that. Should be easier than trying to learn all those gears.

8. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    yes but you'll be restricted on your CDL A to only Autoshifts. I'd recommend at least testing in a manual. That way you are not hamstrung if you leave SWIFT for another company. That is my plan when I get in school.

plankton, tscottme and Davidbenjamin Thank this.
  9. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    If you don't want closed doors on jobs I recommend a company with a manual to test out on, if you chose swift after that's on you but I wouldn't start with swift when that restriction is heavy on future jobs.

Most companies go with 10 speed, that said 18 is just the same more or less just they have split gears I used to use them a lot when hauling for construction. There also floating gears don't do that on driving test after you pass pick it up. By the time I got the truck it was all kinda messed up from horrible drivers grinding the crap out it and you cant float them.

Coffey Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Dude manual aint hard. Dont be intimidated by it.

Pamela1990, alds, Vic Firth and 3 others Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    And if u go with a mega they not gonna put u in a 18 or 13 speed. 10 or 9 is what they give u. Only split high n low range and not any gears.

Vic Firth, tscottme and Coffey Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.