Question for Swift drivers

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Davidbenjamin, Apr 2, 2020.

1. JoelBarz

JoelBarz Bobtail Member

May 2, 2020
    so many negative unhelpful responses, i hear that they will teach you on an automatic but it will put a restriction on your cdl.

2. TLOWS1

TLOWS1 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Omaha
    Dump trucks and Cement delivery trucks, have switched to automatics here in Nebraska. So that's not totally true.

3. TLOWS1

TLOWS1 Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Omaha
    So you aren't having ANY issues with getting loads?

4. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    Then it's rare because I still work construction jobs last one I had was in cali when I was visiting with relatives they were macks and all them were manuals. Most construction companies don't use autos on a construction. Most will always have the cheapest pos they can have it run the longest before getting rid of it and no automatic will be better than a manual terms longevity, most Megas get rid there trucks after 4 years because they are garbage, from longevity, to fuel efficiency they are better I have never been a Freightliner fan, would be peter or KW and mack is your workhorse.

5. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    From the looks of it, both the miles and loads seem to be decent for the driver.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Does Swift have refrigerators and APU's on their trucks for their OTR drivers?

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

7. ParochialNimrod

ParochialNimrod Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2020
    Back in 2001 I was driving cement trucks for a very large company that owned hundreds of them and I never once saw a manual cement truck and I would often be loaned out to locations for a day or two, so I saw a lot of their trucks that year.

8. dieselpowered

May 16, 2016
    Which company might that be because I am looking at the even all the top cement truck companies they all use the same tactics most there operations use old equipment and manuals one even still have 2 shifters trucks they haven't phased out the reason I would know that is at one point I worked for them. If you want to grow you gotta cut cost as much you can. I have worked as a contractor for many companies as a welder, plumbing, grader, roller and so much more the list would be annoying pretty much from top to bottom of building commercial buildings to even the pads themselves I have done at least once. I am one those guys who get very restless who with little thought of anything else will just decide he's tired the same old crap and go into another field of work. I also have the mentality with a little time there ain't nothing you do I can't do better.

Anyways back to the companies they all eventually if grow big and long enough get pretty much same point
    Keep wages down, cost of equipment to minimal, focus purely on profits screw everyone else they don't matter. As for the autos, they may be out there but the majority bigger companies do everything they can keep the cost down especially the equipment. I am kinda interested in how the PTO works on an auto time to go to a local library soon I guess.

9. ParochialNimrod

ParochialNimrod Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2020
    Staker Parsons. They are a big operation and spread out all over Utah and a little bit of Idaho. All their trucks were Oshkosh and Advance.

10. dieselpowered

May 16, 2016
    not sure where to pick at to start either the fact you assume all Oshkosh are autos, or you think they have autos only they have dump trucks manuals that much I do know still in service unless in 6 weeks they somehow sold all trucks. As for the cement trucks, I would have to wait for my buddy who works there to ask him because he was the last person I knew over there I haven't seen there cement trucks recently is why only a couple dump trucks.

The later models have become more common autos it seems personal didn't care to keep track of every truck. But to sell all your trucks that work for new ones even though construction company has trucks doesn't make them a trucking company in the sense they can't justify buying every couple years as these big carriers do or they would go under fast they phase stuff out slowly when the maintenance bill that constantly grows outweighs a new truck expense.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.