Questions about USA

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by DBL_TIME, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DBL_TIME

DBL_TIME <strong>"Two Mints in One"</strong>

Feb 9, 2008
    Well good luck. I believe it's what you make out of it. When i went in for training i had an idiot for a trainer and i use the word trainer loosely but i had already made up my mind that my goal was to just get in my own truck no matter what that dont mean i was willing to get run over because that aint gonna happen but i chose not to complain about every little thing and it all worked out.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orn47

orn47 Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Boaz, AL
    Drivers solutions took my app, put me in touch with USA. When I talked to USA, the contact there, Heather, told me that I would do CDL school in Dothan the training/orentation with a trainer for 3 to 4 weeks. Then I would be placed in a truck.

JJ

4. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    That could very well be possible, I dont know what all schools they use or where they are all located i just knew we didn't have a terminal or yard there. I live in dalton went to school just 5 min from my house but there were students there for usa that were from every where, oh,tn,ect. When do you start school?

5. bama_quake

bama_quake Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's an update on what ACTUALLY happens. I'm not saying that you were lied to, however, the recruiter's job is to get you to apply -- POINT BLANK. Here's what you should expect:

CDL School/Training: Different facilities operate differently. Don't expect luxury, these schools have a job to teach you what you need to know to get a CDL, NOT DRIVE A TRUCK -- "That's your trainer's job"

OTR Training: USA has two training programs. First Program You're with a trainer for 4-6 weeks (depending on your abilities). In this time, it's important for you to learn everything you need to know about handling the equipment. ESPECIALLY Hooking/Unhooking, Driving (highway AND city), shifting, backing, Qualcomm, route planning, and logging. If you feel your trainer is not sufficiently giving you the training you need, talk with your training coordinator. In this program, you should get AT LEAST 1 (2 is better) week of second seat training with the rest running as a team. Second Program You're with a trainer for 2 weeks running second seat. Your trainer will NEVER DRIVE. his job is to teach you to handle the equipment and do the job (as stated in previous program). You will then be placed with another 'trainer' for 4-5 weeks. This trainer will be running strictly team with you. His job will be to help you 'tweak' your skills as needed and help out with any problems that you may get into (Route planning, logging, adjusting tandems, etc) as needed.

Orientation/Upgrade: Note that sometimes Orientation is done BEFORE you get onboard with your trainer. Orientation basically consists of paper-work. Upgrade testing is done in two parts. Written This basically consists of open book tests to determine if you know where to find needed information and regulations as well as read a map. You'll also have to look at some sample logs and determine where (if any) a violation of the 11 or 14 hour rule occured. And most important, you'll have to plan a route and log it. Road/Skill First step in this is that you'll be taken out to the yard, instructed to drop the trailer (don't forget to lower the landing gear!!) and drive the bob-tail around the yard (take this time to get use to the clutch, shifting and steering). Next, you'll come back around and hook up to the trailer you just dropped. Once reconnected, you'll need to get out and pretrip the trailer, letting the tester know of any problems you may find with the equipment (the tester already knows about the problem and WILL NOT GET IT FIXED -- that way the next guy can find it as well. These trucks are not going outside of a small radius and any problems that you should find will be minor and need not be corrected for the safe operation during the testing -- Problems such as lights out, door not properly closed, etc). Next, you'll get into the truck with the tester and drive around the nearby town as he instructs (stay off the curves, obey traffic signs and watch the traffic/check mirrors). Final step is to back into some barrels. You will be instructed to drive around the yard to set up for your backing. After you're set-up, GET OUT AND LOOK!!! (Yes, this will fail you in a heart beat), if you're not satisfied with your set-up, go around and set-up again (NOTE: Everytime you re-setup, GET OUT AND LOOK). Once you're satisfied with your set-up, put the truck in reverse (starts the 'clock') and proceed to manuever the trailer between the barrells. You'll have 10 minutes with UNLIMITED pull-ups. Basically, DON'T HIT ANYTHING.

Your Truck: USA is having a hard time keeping up with new students coming through and having equipment ready to be assigned. You'll generally be sent home after upgrade testing for your 'earned home time' (approx 4-5 days) with instructions to call them on a given day to find out where you'll need to go to pick up your truck.

Well, that's it for USA's training program. I hope that answers a few questions for someone.

venne and panhandlepat Thank this.
  6. WanderLust

WanderLust Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks DBL. I'm hoping to get a good trainer but like you I have my mind set on getting through it no matter what.

7. WanderLust

WanderLust Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Thanks for the info bama. So it will be at least a week with my trainer before we run as a team...good to hear.

Also, my handbook says that my ComData card can be activated the first day with the trainer and we can get up to $160 cash advance per week against our paycheck. Are most trainers familiar with helping with getting the card activated? I elected direct deposit and it says that it can take up to three pay checks before it starts going into my checking automatically, during which they send paper checks to the house which wont do me any good on the road.

Thanks again for the info.

8. bama_quake

bama_quake Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    It SHOULD be at least a week with your trainer running second seat. Some trainers (Those who are just in it for the money and don't give a rats $%^ about your future may start trying to run as teams right out of the gate). If you feel that your trainer is not giving you the instruction you need to be a safe and knowlegable driver, tell your training co-ordinator! Remember, they may be happy to 'do it for you' while you're with them, but eventually you'll be on your own.

As soon as you get on the truck, your trainer will send in a macro for 'Picked up Student'. This will in turn activate your ComData card. As for getting the cash advance. Yes, you can get it right away. There are two methods of getting your cash advance. Of course, for both methods, you'll need to call the number on the back of the card and set up your PIN before ANY method will work. Method 1 ATM machines: Insert your card, Enter PIN, Select 'Withdraw From Savings', enter an amount up to $160. (Note: This charges you an ATM fee which can be costly in the long run) METHOD 2 Fueling: When you fuel with your ComData card, and there is a cash advance available, you'll be given the option to pull the advanced out. (the pump card reader will generally give you the option of getting $0-$160 if the whole advance is still available.) So long as you get AT LEAST 50 Gallons (1/4 tank of fuel), you will not have to pay extra.

NOTE: Comdata charges $1.00 processing fee for EVERY TRANSACTION, including direct deposit, Cash Advances, and ATM Withdrawel (in addition to the ATM fee)

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  9. Birdeye56

Birdeye56 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    I am an old trucker from the late 70's-early 80's and am getting back into trucking again. I went and got my CDL on my own with a few refresher lessons locally and have my CDL-"A" with N&T endorsements, and just received a letter for USA on a pre approval pending their stips. I applied under the No Recent Experience option and tried yesterday to reach USA but was put on unlimited hold 4 times so I guess I'll call Heather tomorrow and hopefully arrange for the shorter orientation in Ohio since I live in NY. Anyone else here under the same old experience category so I know what to expect as far as orientation,training,Etc. Thanks and hopefully will meet on the road soon......

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  10. DBL_TIME

Feb 9, 2008
    Yeah goodluck trying to reach ANYBODY there on the weekends...i am on my 10hr right now in rochester,ny it's cold as crap. good luck hope all goes well

Birdeye56 Thanks this.
  11. Birdeye56

Birdeye56 Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2008
    NY
    Hello DBL! I feel your pain,it's windy as all H&%$ here in Dutchess County NY too! I was hopeing someone had input on my situation? How do you like USA so far? I am dealing with Swift and USA so am leaning towards USA as I have read many bad things about Swift here! Stay warm.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.