Quitting

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bbuenting, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s the bottom line. The one mega carrier I worked for, had me sign an agreement, saying I’d return the Truck, or pay a per mile rate. Along with an IOU for the $20 they gave us in orientation, and an IOU for another $20, if I failed to return their kingpin lock. I went to O/O with them, later they charged me $250 for not returning a trailer, Even though I dropped it where they wanted it. They then cancelled my lease without notice. Bottom line, as a worker you have recourse through the State Labor department for monies owed. Good Luck with that. But depending on anything you sign. They can enforce it. I don’t Trust any of them. I get my money first. Best to avoid any Carrier that uses DAC anyways. The last Carrier I was leased to had a reputation for keeping your last settlement check. I convinced them my Truck was in the shop, needed money to get it out. Got my last check and quit. They were very angry, I beat them at their own game.Fight fire with Fire. No apologies.

Texas_hwy_287, LTL Bull, baha and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I wish.

stillwurkin and magoo68 Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    My question to OP is, why didn't you think to quit your before the holiday? There wasn't going to be any dispatches going out from Wednesday all the til Monday for most companies. I would totally imagine that freight will be thin

roshea Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Getting yourself home is typically your responsibility.

Even the company SAYS they'll help you out with that, it's always best to assume they won't, because those types of "gentlemens' agreements" have a funny way of being forgotten about when they become inconvenient.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why would it not be the ex employee's responsibility to get home after they quit?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    Texas_hwy_287, Milr72 and AModelCat Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I've done it twice. First time, I was pulling a reefer. Had a load of cooking oil going to that FoodLion DC in Lakeland FL. Got there on a Wednesday. Friday afternoon, they tell me that they won't be unloading me until Monday. Dispatcher shrugs her shoulders. No detention. Made some calls on the payphone and got a flatbed job lined up. Monday, the owner calls me pissed, wondering why I wasn't in Florida. I hung up the phone.

Started a new flatbed job stayed out 4 months so I could have the entire week of Christmas off to go on a hunting trip. Christmas was on a Tuesday. The Friday before, they give me a delivery for Wednesday 1000 miles from the house. But what about my hunting trip?

"At least you will be home for Christmas."

Not with a 1000 mile delivery. Put a couple apps out online and they sent me an online bus ticket. Drove to the terminal, handed the truck over to the shop. Called a cab and went to hand the travel agent back the permit book and fuel card.

"You can't just quit...."

Sorry, gotta run. My taxi is out front.

I am certain they probably told anyone in any HR bad things about me, but it has never stopped me from getting employment. I wish OP would have posted Friday morning. 800 miles is nothing. I wouldn't have said anything about needing to be home to start a new job. And I refuse to believe that they couldn't find him a load going to iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio. They sat him out to stall him.

8. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Well I would think to encourage employees to return the truck where the company wanted it, making the company's life much easier and saving them money from having to go get the truck.

It just seems like the right thing to do. Trucking is not a normal job. In OP's situation, if the company hired him despite the employee living 800+ miles from the Terminal, than if the OP delivers the truck safely to the terminal than I would expect the company to return the favor and pay for expenses so that while OP will lose free time going back home after returning the truck, at least he wouldn't lose money.

But I don't know, that's why I asked the question if companies will normally cover employees expenses to get back home if the employees are like the OP and more than a days drive away from home from the terminal.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Be careful about those 2 week notices; they're not required.
    Try to quit at the terminal with no notice.

autopaint, roshea, JoeTruck and 6 others Thank this.
  10. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    800 miles deadhead. One days drive.
    Does your company fuel card work? Fill the tanks. Should be able to make it to their yard running empty.
    Drop the truck off Monday before noon. Return home. Plane tickets are cheap right now. Be home Tuesday morning.

To a future employer, I'd rather explain returning an empty truck to the home terminal, than explaining the expenses of the company getting the truck from my front yard.

It should cost around $300 in fuel. I would sleep better also.
    Good luck.

spindrift Thanks this.
  11. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Your agreement was this date.
    Upon that date, I’d be sitting where I told you.
    Companies are all the same, you said your leaving, they’ve got their 2 weeks, I’ve only given that once in my life, never again, got burned kinda like your about too.
    Be there Monday morning, start new job, or stay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.