Rand McNally ELD-50 - Are we the only ones having issues?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by ohiouser, Dec 29, 2017.

Is the Rand McNally ELD-50 and android app working for you?

1. Yes

3.6%
  2. no

67.9%
  3. sometimes

28.6%
  1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

So here's a frustrating problem with my log I'll tack on here instead of starting a new thread.

I have a customer who has a security gate at the edge of their yard with a closed circuit video and two way intercom.

So you pull up, turn the engine off, and push the CALL button. Turning off the engine drops you to line 4. So to save time I enter "drop & hook" or "load" before I turn off the engine, because it's going to drop me to line 4 anyway.

Well then you have to be careful not to go over 4 mph in the yard. Looks weird but I'm paid by the hour and nobody there minds.

Except I must have exceeded 4mph because it popped me back up to line 3. Aaaaand never really put me back again.

And of course you can't edit line 3. You move so much during a d/h it's a wonder anyone can keep it on line 4. Even if the trailers are next to each other.

So I'm stuck with a 60 second drop and hook on my log I can't edit away.

Yeah, not weird at all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    So why are you using stupid eld50?stop using that pos and get something else that works better

4. Infosaur

1.) I think it's actually a 200, I just wanted to update this thread instead of starting a new one. You can see I was quite active on it from the beginning.

2.) Not my call. That's what the company's using. We had a lot of teething pains but we've got a halfway stable system now. (Companywide) we can print out/email logs to customers who detain our trucks and bill them for time. Hee hee.

But every now and then there are new problems that need to be worked around.

5. Infosaur

So about a week ago got the update to 5.4 which is distinguished by including seconds in the clock displays.

Aaaand instability is back.
    Just lost Monday.
    Had to put it in inspection mode to find last night's log off time.
    (The exact time. I don't want violations whenever it repopulates).

6. Infosaur

The fobbits have returned.

Not content to leave a stable platform alone, they have pushed an update and brought all sorts of new gremlins.

So here's the new symptoms and my fix:

1.) ELD drops connection with logbook. Bluetooth won't recognize ELD and Wifi won't connect. Logbook won't store location data.

Solution for now: unplug the hockey puck, wait, and reconnect. After it reboots should work.

2.) ELD drops connection to logbook but indicator light on puck stays green. I drove 2 hours on line 4 and had no indication the log had dropped off.

Again, had to disconnect the puck, reboot the app and make edits.

The 2nd incident is more troubling because if I'd pulled into a scale and been inspected I'd have no idea the logbook had crashed. I might cover 150 miles but only show 90 minutes of drive time.

I've been lucky with my company because we almost never get inspected, but I really wish we could hold these IT companies accountable for any fines or tickets we receive due to their poor software.

Still waiting on that class action, but not holding my breath.

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Just saw them being put on store shelves again this morning in IL.

8. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    What a turd. God #### engineers greedy ########### that put out this kind of crap and expecting you to pay $$$ for it.

9. Infosaur

Just to clarify: I'm not paying for it.

This thread isn't to complain about what a POS it is. It's what the boss bought and I'm stuck with it. So I'm trying to use this as a troubleshooting thread instead of making a new thread every time something comes up.

So more issues:

1.) I keep getting prompted to update, but it only takes me to the App Store, I can't seem to find an update. There was a patch released 2 weeks ago and as far as I can tell I already have it. I'm done for the night and logged off, we'll see if the prompt goes away next time I log in.

2.) after checking in with a shipper, I needed to move to a door. For the sake of neatness I like to keep it all on line 4 and convert my little 2 minutes of drive time to a YM. Well it wouldn't let me. It had an idiot prompt (could we get those to go away after the 10th time we click "ok"? I KNOW I need to keep it plugged in, the plug fell out, every single time!) telling me I was moving and I could only convert to YM/PC, except it wouldn't let me.

Pain in the ###.

10. mitmaks

May 16, 2014
    Sorry your boss is cheap ####

11. Infosaur

He spends all his money on my paycheck. I can live with that. :D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.