Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Cardfan guessed it. They are always calling asking about why didn’t this or that get picked up, usually because they never bothered to send a BOL.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Well, our princess is causing this dock manager a headache. Put his so necessary electric jack on his trailer, for him. Since he didn't have any stops today on his way to do his line haul back.
    Dick pulled it back off, said send it with the other guys. So I gave the last line driver going that way the option of taking it. Dick called and complained to terminal manager that I'm not being nice enough to him.

Dick hasn't been here a year yet. But has more clout than me. Because I don't care what he wants. And have let him know it.

Princess 2, last of the salary girls walked out 3 weeks ago. Gets the call back to return. Minus salary, and he's not gonna like his load tomorrow.
    5 super sacks in the nose.
    15 crated lawn mowers and a pallet of push mowers. He spent an HOUR, trying to decide if half that freight would even fit in a 53. Not only did it fit.

I got 5 more pcs load barred on the tail.

Some days I love my jobs. Other days, it's worth it to watch the rest of the crew smile and roll on the floor with laughter, knowing THAT princess asked for his trailer to be pre-loaded for tomorrow morning. So he didn't have to do it himself.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I'd rather load my own box. That way, I know it was done right.

MACK E-6, alds and misterG Thank this.
  5. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Ditto.
    He usually loads his own too. He's helping out tomorrow, since I took a day off. He knows how I load my trailer, and trusted me to do his right.
    It's done right. But with more stops then he originally thought he'd have.

This princess will nit pick his whole list of stops for 45 minutes EVERY day. Before he starts loading.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    5 super sacks and a bunch of lawn mowers? That doesn’t sound too bad.

Why does he want to take a pallet jack on a run with no deliveries?

misterG and alds Thank this.
  7. truckguy391

truckguy391 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Around
    Exactly what I would have done in your situation. If that guy wants to be a jerk and play games, he’ll reap what he sows.
    On the flip side, had I been the customer I would have been ecstatic to get a new traeger grill and would have made accommodations to arrange for delivery. Heck, I’d be so excited to get the thing right before Memorial Day that I’d gladly give the driver a $20 tip (or more) just for making my weekend.
    Some people are rude. Maybe next time he won’t be so quick to cut someone off and be a turd to someone who is trying to help him but judging by a lot of the people on Daniel Island and their uppity attitudes it’s not likely.

alds, misterG, Speed_Drums and 5 others Thank this.
  8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I was absolutely shocked when it happened. I was in disbelief when he hung up on me. If you are familiar with the area, most of the population are transplants from out of state. You would also know that I-526 is bumper to bumper traffic heading back to the I-26 junction.

Yeah, I was not a happy ######### camper that day and told the OSD clerk to send it back.

9. truckguy391

truckguy391 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Around
    I’m pretty familiar with the area. Lots of transplants in that area from northern states. The most common ones seem to be NY, NJ, MI, OH but there’s others too. I’ve met some nice people who were transplants from northern states but I’ve met some who were complete and total jerks.
    I-526 is a total cluster. After about 3:30 it starts backing up and it’s chaos. Whenever I ran to Charleston I’d make sure to be out of there as early as possible. Thankfully I work for a carrier on a dedicated account that doesn’t go in that area. Between the cars backed up and the port rats driving their 20 year old internationals and freight shakers with 8 different color body panels and bungee cord mirrors driving like idiots trying to get the last load, I can say I hate that area. The amount of crappy trucks in that area is astounding. It’s totally possible to have an old truck that’s in good mechanical condition but these fly by night 1099 intermodal companies in Charleston just sign anyone with a pulse. They are literally the worst drivers on the road. I guess that goes with the territory, most are paid by the load and only get paid peanuts.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  10. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    We have a small yard. We've been graced with a box truck, but if we don't use it enough, they'll take it away from us.

Big Boss: Your first run will be taking a 1000# chicken coop in the BT to this residential out in 'Paradise Valley.' If you can't get it done without getting hurt, just bring it back.*

Gearjammin' Penguin: On it. (Thinking: This seems like it could get sideways pretty quick, but we'll see where it goes.)

Head out to the back of beyond. Find the house, and the lady is coming out to meet me. A residential that actually knows I'm coming? Be still my heart, it's a Christmas miracle!! I get set up and back the BT into her driveway. This coop is on an oversize double-skid, wrapped in heavy-duty shrink-wrap. I cut the wrap open, and it's in a bunch of pieces that are manageable. One by one, we get all the bits and bobs into her garage. The worst part was the floor, which I could have managed alone if I had to, but all in all, it went smoothly,

She tipped me. I did not solicit or expect it at all--I never do--but it's the first time I've ever been tipped a Franklin. :eek:

I'm still kind of shocked, but not unhappy. :D

* Once again, I give thanks and praise to Almighty God for giving us a boss that has Been There Done That.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    The Shadow, Ryne, misterG and 7 others Thank this.
  11. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It's an intensely stupid area. I have barely enough seniority to allow me to bid out of Charleston. I used to run with a flooring company but they usually got me out of town before 3 PM so traffic was not an issue.

I refuse to bid on the Charleston routes cause the people down there are just flat out rude, entitled, and mean. I literally filled in for the day cause the usual driver was a no call no show.

misterG, MACK E-6, Cardfan89 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.