Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What about when drop 10 is 7 feet wide and it’s the last thing to go on the truck?

I’ll bet the dummy wouldn’t have an answer for that. :rolleyes:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Dang, man--we set a record yesterday for our barn. 97 bills hit the street(and with a 5-man yard covering an area roughly the size of Massachusetts, that's no small thing).

You guys using the new wands and freight tags yet? I got trained this week and now I gotta train all the other guys next week.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Not trying to compete. But during the height of my last summer with Reddaway, we were doing 110 bills with four drivers. We were supposed to have seven, but after our TM saw how much more money we were making they eliminated two spots and just left the fifth spot unfilled.

5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    I'm waiting for that barn to completely implode so we can expand our Billings operations. Only a matter of time...

MACK E-6, road_runner and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    You're FxF?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    My old barn near Bozeman used to have 20+ people working there. 8-9 P&D, several line drivers, a TM, sales guy, dispatchers, and secretary. They are down to 4 P&D, one line, and one sales guy that now also covers the Billings barn.

Now our Billings barn was just as big as ours. Except they had way more line drivers. They are down to 6-7 P&D and some office staff. No linedrivers now.

FXF moved in ten or fifteen years ago and decimated Reddaway. They are the sole reason we lost so much business and driver slots. I don't have any hard feelings cause this was before my time. Aside from that, this is a capitalist system and FXF just runs smarter.

Tack on the YRC acquisition of the USF branches and you got a complete clusterfudge of poor corporate management to add fuel to the fire.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Keepin' that Purple Promise! ;)

9. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    So you lost business and yet you were swamped? :wtf:

Yeah, I know, they cut more driver slots than they should have compared to their business level, but that's the difference between a successful company and a company run by dolts.

Mike2633 and road_runner Thank this.
  10. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    We ran 220+ bills a day back then from what I was told. But they also made more and had a better work environment. I could not imagine going from making $24/hour in 2004 to making $22/hour in 2018.

MACK E-6, misterG and Mike2633 Thank this.
  11. Gearjammin' Penguin

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    You were sold a line of crap. 220+ bills a day on a consistent basis would take at least 11 drivers going hardcore hairy-eyed coffee-IV balls-to-the-wall every single day until they puked up their souls from overwork.

BTW, I'm billing out at almost 27.5/hr, OT after 8...and we're one of the lowest paid yards.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.