Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    What happens is we all have bids. Once freight dips below a certain number, they eliminate so many bids and we now fall under the extra board to handle overflow freight. Right now freight is so low that they boot out the casual dock guys so we have something to do for 8 hours a day. That way we will stick around and not quit before the freight picks back up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Is that moron actually pushing forks against the MIDDLE of the pallet??? :biggrin_2551:

4. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Is city trailers or linehaul trailers or both?

5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Linehaul. I don’t see much on the city side but there’s zero pressure to cram it all into one trailer.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I don't know when it happened, but at some point the pallet became so lodged that he couldn't move it either in or out of the trailer. The bottom was completely destroyed so he ended up using the freight as a contact point to try to push everything into the trailer. He poked and prodded several holes into the pallet before all was done. I congratulated Jerry and told him Hellen Keller wanted her forklift back.

We actually talked about last week's events today and we wish we filmed it. We did not hear back about it. I am sure their OS&D wish they would have called in sick when they opened the trailer.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Interesting. Not that we had many linehaul runs to begin with at Reddaway, but a few dropped and P&D drivers jumped on them since it was a quick $300 on a Saturday. Usually a turn to a close terminal in Idaho or inside Montana. They never popped up in the winter cause they knew nobody would put up with the roads.

Here is what is interesting. At Holland (which is union) they absolutely will not allow cross working. Like when I worked Reddaway and came back early enough from a linehaul run, they would run me a quick peddle route or trailer swap. At Holland, it would absolutely not fly. Line is line and P&D is P&D. You can't use one pool of drivers to replace the other. It's in our contract. The downside is, that even if we wanted to, I could not do a quick turn to Charlotte on my day off and a linedriver couldn't fill in on extra trailer swaps on a weekend.

Radman Thanks this.
  8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Yeah at Saia if either needs help they can ask but not force to do cross work. Generally we need more people to run linehaul cause there’s always plenty of extra runs. P&D guys like to do it cause extra line runs are at 8am-12pm. So they get to run days. These guys don’t want to transfer to the line board with the fear of going nights and having to run in bad weather. When they do extra line runs they don’t have to do anything out of the ordinary cause they are helping out they can say no if central dispatch try’s to switch runs or keep them out like a normal extraboard driver. If the weathers bad they don’t volunteer. p&d guys can also sign up on a sign up sheet for extra line work on the weekend and won’t get bumped cause it’s who ever signs up first.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    MACK E-6 and road_runner Thank this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Feels like it's gonna snow. It's been getting down into the 50's at night. Thinking a move to Cuba might be the right move being as how it's the next stop since I can't go much further South.

10. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America

Heck I’d go to Cuba just to get a car. Lol.

11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    There’s always Cape Horn. ;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.