Random LTL Rants (all are welcomed)

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by road_runner, Jun 21, 2013.

1. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I think it's more likely that other companies will poach customers rather than take it on, given the equipment condition. Like SAIA in the northeast put the final touches on NEMF already and possibly Duie Pyle will be the next Preston 151, then there's XPO's ownership being suddenly interested in operating an LTL company instead of being a 3PL incidentally saddled with one.

It'll come down to shippers not being able to stomach service levels any longer despite what are probably favorable rates from the YRC's.

YRC could have stitched the regionals together using YRC terminals in the dead spots and consolidated/abandoned the rest, but that blindingly obvious course of action seems beyond the level of executives they can attract and now it's getting late for such a course correction. They're going to need Bugs Bunny's air brakes pretty soon.

Time to put some resumes out there, RR, with your years you should be able to latch on to any LTL, and every other one is better. In your area, ODFL would seem to be an obvious direction. It'll be better everything.

jmz, road_runner, McUzi and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    For what it's worth, as soon as I made my last post, I ran into the shop steward. He said that he heard that YRC is making payments on the $75 million it has fallen behind on. Something along the lines that YRC tried to make our issues seem worse to get some of that Covid-19 relief money the government has been throwing around. Not sure if they actually got money or if their bluff was called, but either way, supposedly they are making payments.

And yes, YRC has been going bankrupt since the mid 90's. As my old Reddaway TM said, they are the boat anchor that is sinking all the regionals. I honestly think that when (not if) YRC does file for bankruptcy protection, they will be forced to sell their regionals.

It would be insane to unemploy tens of thousands of drivers/managers/clergy/dock workers for three companies that are operating at a profit. All the regionals are doing fine. It's our parent company that is siphoning our money to bandage off financial losses when they really need to put a tourniquet on it.

It's been long rumored that UPSF had their eyes on both Reddaway and Holland. Let's see how that goes.

McUzi Thanks this.
  4. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I agree with most of what you wrote. But I respectfully split away with the thought of the poaching element.

Of course there will be a freight vacuum if all of YRC collapses. But it would be far more manageable to buy out the existing regionals and keeping their name than to pick off their accounts while competing with everyone else.

1. You have the name recognition. Even YRC recognized that people didn't want to ship with them even though they owned the regionals. Simply doing a takeover from a previous competitor is a turn off for customers that already hate YRC.

2. Holland, Reddaway, and New Penn already have their operation and network set up and running at a profit. It's better to gobble them up.as a whole than to try to compete for their accounts.

Btw, I've been updating my resume. If this boat sinks, I already donned my lifejacket.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  5. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Half the time it seems like UPS doesn't even want UPSF.

Pacino, speedyk, The Shadow and 3 others Thank this.
  6. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Been seeing o/o's and otr companies hooked to UPSF and other ltl's trailers a lot lately. Mostly 48's, been wondering if linehaul might look different soon.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    From a dollars and cents standpoint, it would be logical to come to that conclusion. I don’t think LTL linehaul will begin to shift even half of their freight to owner operators or 3PLs for the simple aspect that by doing so, they give up control of their freight.

jmz and Mike2633 Thank this.
  8. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    It would be impossible to maintain current service levels if purchased transportation took over linehaul completely. Mostly because it doesn’t work with the hub and spoke model that allows even rural and remote locations to have next day service from basically everywhere within 600 miles. It might look good now for longer runs where they can fill the trailer, but as soon as rates spike again, that becomes unprofitable.

speedyk, road_runner and McUzi Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Can somebody tell me why I had to meet some idiot non-driver at a pickup customer today to get 4 skids worth of returns off his pup trailer?

If the guy is reworking the whole trailer, why not just nose load the returns before reloading the remaining deliveries?

misterG, road_runner, McUzi and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    8406 Lets hit it I’ll see you out there.
    896E071C-9259-429C-8334-D70D3B4BF87C.jpeg

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    20200618_170727.jpg 20200618_170732.jpg

"Come on up bud, stairs are behind the bags of saw dust."

- No thank you. I'll walk around the building and cut through the office. Feel free to start loading.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.