Recent Graduate needing hometime any help???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewGuyGA, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    If you live in the Atlanta area you should have a bunch of LTL companies nearby. Fedex Freight has a huge place in Conley, and there are many others too. A P&D driver will be home everyday and have weekends off. Starting pay will be in the $20-22 per hour range with good benefits and 401K etc

Go to the LTL section on this site and post there asking about LTL in Atlanta. There has been a recent thread from someone else in your area just starting out. You are in a prime area for local trucking.

XPO Linehaul in Cartersville GA VS. ABF Linehaul in Conley GA

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The tickets, the crazy ex, and the kid...

If you’re doing okay with Sysco, STAY THERE until you can get a local driving job.

Nothing wrong with Swift flatbed. But there’s no road company that’s going to be able to consistently get you home. And with your daughter, you’re going to have to be consistent. The more consistent you are, the less crazy games you have to play with the crazy ex.

When you make plans with the kid, keep your word. It’s the most important thing you can do as a Man.

Luck in battle.

TheyCallMeDave Thanks this.
  4. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    It’s really for 6 months after that my job pool opens up. While I was looking through the threads I haven’t seen one person ask about home time I’m like so nobody wants a day or two off lol. I’m trying to be regional but I don’t mind driving OTR. After a year of experience I’m getting my own truck anyway I already have immediate family that own their own trucks so I been guided by them . Even they told me to go OTR for 6 months. So hopefully it’s not that bad being OTR and I learn to enjoy it. But I definitely don’t want someone in the truck with me for that long also. I listen to rap music and I know when I’m driving that will keep me going. But thanks for all of your comments. I’m intrigued about this new job opportunity whenever I chose a company to drive for . Too many options and too little info.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I never knew what LTL was actually I tried Coca Cola and those companies I haven’t heard anything basically my main companies so far are Swift US Xpress and Western Express that I actually have orientation dates set up . Now I will see what these LTL jobs are

6. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The big players in LTL are.

Fedex Freight
    UPS Freight
    Old Dominion
    R&L
    Saia
    Estes
    ABF
    YRC
    XPO
    Dayton
    Southeastern

Pretty much all of them have home daily driving positions and the pay is not that far off between them. Some are union, some have a strict corporate atmosphere, but every last one of them will be much better than Western Express and Swift.

Get on the website for each of those companies and see who is hiring in your area. You may be surprised at how many of them are hurting for drivers.

Fuelinmyveins, x1Heavy and NewGuyGA Thank this.
  7. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Interesting that a simple search, " home time", using the search box at the top of this page resulted in 20 PAGES of results.

I had a lot more to say but I promised @MACK E-6 I'd behave.

MACK E-6 and NewGuyGA Thank this.
  8. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    You okay I’m open to any info. I’m just trying to get the best advice on my road ahead. Everything has pros and cons and sometimes you have to sacrifice your wants for the greater good.

9. NewGuyGA

NewGuyGA Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    I will definitely do that tonight and get these apps out

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I appreciate that. ;)

A21CAV Thanks this.
  11. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    This sounds depressing:eek:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.