Recommended truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Adam818, Apr 10, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    ok, Craig;s List will have "dealer only" vehicles for sale.\

i check my local craig;s list and i am always finding good used trucks from dealers that use the list for more exposure.

you have to also realize that trucks do not devalue fast like cars do, so the prices for a good used, low miles, no accident vehicles will be higher. one that has high miles, been owned by more that 2 people, and has an accident history can be bought on the cheap, but when i search for used pick ups, i want one owner, no accidents.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Drivingotr4life

Drivingotr4life Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2018

Freightliner! Best.. Oh you want a pickup. I stand my my beliefs that Chevy is best but 10k budget I doubt your find anything good sure not anything under 100k miles.. try autotrader com or Craigslist and yes even back page hehe;) just don't stray from the for sale category to another category or you'll be spending that money on something else

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The numbers the manufacturer lists aren't close to real world numbers.

5. Adam818

Adam818 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Thanks everyone for helping.
    I was searching on craigslist and car gurus , the trucks are nissan frontier , chevy silverado , ford f-150 , ford ranger and gmc sierra.
    I read the nissan got a transmission problem around 60k miles , what do you recommend?

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Can't go wrong with the Ford Ranger.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I can and did get about 25 out of a 5.9 hemi with a 5 speed dodge with it on highway if I stayed off it. But if I loaded it down with firewood or ran around town? HA forget it. 18 would be my best. In those days it would be as low as 10 miles to gallon sometimes. Or even up to 30+

I hope you are doing something useful with that 3000 miles a month on a pickup whatever it might be because the fuel alone will run you 600 to 1000 or so plus another bunch for insurance and what not.

I hate to be difficult. But You can get any old truck. Then fix it up and keep it fixed. If it runs well enough to get you where you need to go, then that should be really good. The last time I filled my Tahoe was about three years ago. I don't drive it much and the problems it has will keep it near the shop for some time yet. But it has one thing that new cars and trucks don't have no nanny technology telling me I am straying from my lane or something. When you drive that old iron, you are driving. Anything else is a unnecessary distraction.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If the U.S. Army owns the truck, does that count as one owner?

9. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yep, like many other trucks, one owner, dozens of drivers.>???

10. Adam818

Adam818 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2018
    I looked up a few fors rangers and they are actually at my price with a decent mileage.
    From my understanding they are reliable.
    I looked up a toyota 4runner which can be used for my line of work as well since it has lots of storage space and is extremely reliable.
    Anyone has experience with one of the above mentiined vehicles?

11. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    I dont think 4runners came with a 3406e.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.