Reddaway Contract 2019 Join the Conversation!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LTL Trucker, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Good luck with the contract. If the 52cpm rate in your chart is for triples, you guys definitely deserve far more than that. One question - is that rate for both doubles and triples? I always heard companies here pay a premium for pulling triples (Ohio Turnpike).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    YRC/Reddaway at most will give maybe 3cpm. I don’t see them trying to be competitive in pay. YRC lost money recently in a good market. The pay cut has been a decade. They are wanting inexperienced drivers not experienced drivers. Becoming more Swift like in the LTL world. I don’t see them ever paying above .60cpm. OTR guys make .50cpm is what they are staying competitive with not other LTL’s. Why I don’t understand why older drivers keep trying to hold on there. If you want to get fair wage your best bet is to leave and go to a well ran managed company that won’t lose money. I worked for Reddaway for 5 years so I know what’s going on.

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I've been on here for the better part of six years. Not once have I ever made a personal attack against any other member on here .

If you read the context of my comment, I merely stated that you are promoting an outside source to support a third party platform (aka union). If I remember right, discussions concerning unions have a separate section on this page so it prevents bickering and conflict.

You have a right to say whatever you want but it is disappointing that you would question my intelligence because I disagree with your placement of this thread. Cause ultimately, this is what it comes down to.

But seeing how we are on the topic, i am not going to disrespect you. Nor will I question your intelligence. I will merely engage in your ideas.

Let's start of why I hate Reddaway. It has nothing to do with the company. I work for a POS terminal that fired their only competent manager three years ago. He wasn't great, but he kept all the hours balanced and everyone happy. The guy that he was replaced with was just a senior driver. A racist bitter old man that used his position to micromanage our terminal into a hostile and resentful workplace. I literally urinate into this guy's fuel tank before I leave work each night.

The TM is ok with how things are going.. He is even ok with our turnover rate going from 15% to 95%. Hell, less people that work there will boost profits. There is nothing a union can do to fix this type of work environment. Not when your terminal only employs 5 people. Union won't touch it. It's not worth their time.

Pay and benefits are not bad. I make $20/hour the first 8 and $30/hour after that until I can't legally work anymore. Our health care benefits are worth an additional $12/hour. If you put everything together, we are paid $75k a year if you include benefits. Median wage for my area is $45k/year. I think in terms of compensation Reddaway is more than fair.

I am a free market capitalist. I am a firm believer that if you aren't happy with your workplace or it's compensation, you are free to leave and find work elsewhere. In my case, that is what I am doing.

It is absolutely unethical and immoral for a third party entity to come down on a private organization, and hold their labour pool hostage by demanding this and that. If I am a business owner, I should be able to set the terms of employment, and not be dictated by an outside group on how I should set my compensation criteria.

My terminal is sitting right at a $0.06 to a dollar profit margin. After all the bills are paid we generate maybe $80k in profits each year... It's financially suicidal to assume you can boost sales by cutting more into profits by increasing wages.

5. LTL Trucker

LTL Trucker Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2018
    What I found is that most companies pay a premium between 2 and $0.05 for pulling triples, for example FedEx Freight in my area pays 0.68 cents for doubles and 0.73 for triples.

6. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    Again this post has nothing to do with organizing, or pushing the agenda of the union. I am not a union official, just a hard working employee who has been around Reddaway since 1972. Reddaway, together with Holland and New Penn have posted operating profits every year since the great recession of 08-09. This is why we deserve to be compensated fairly. When YRC Freight figures out how to operate in the mid 90's for eight straight years then they too may may also deserve a raise. The chart below may help illustrate my point. 20180403_043837.png

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  7. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    YRC strongly believes fair and competitive compensation is necessary to attract the best talent in the LTL industry. No really, it's true! Read it for yourself in the latest 2018 proxy statement filed with Securities and Exchange Commission. In fact, they selected a committee, who hired a research firm to gather the data. This firm gathered data on our LTL industry peers like ABF, Saia, XPO, etc. to find out what kind of compensation they were providing, so YRC in turn could offer something similar. After all, they don't want their valuable assets walking out the door to go to work for one of these
    competitors. Before you get too excited, I guess I should mention, this is how they figure out what should be paid to the company's top Executives. Apparently, they think a fair and competitive salary is important for the brass, but not so much for rest of us

8. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    Jump start your career with free CDL training! YRC's free training will help you land a job with with one of the many LTL companies paying a fair and competitive wage! Screenshot_20180417-025638.png

9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    2.7 stars. Is that out of 3? Most places have a 5 star rating system. Be a shame if they rank 2.7 / 5

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  10. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    Yes I believe that's out of 5. 20180417_051731.png

11. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Shocked that Reddaway came in last. I knew they aren't the best one to get on board with... But I figured they would at least be ahead of XPO and Saia.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.