Reddaway Contract 2019 Join the Conversation!

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LTL Trucker, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Who are you thinking about getting on with at your new location? Or are you even thinking about that yet?

road_runner Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I am on day three of unemployment. Been doing a bit of drinking and thinking

But I am looking online. UPS is hiring a dock/CDL combo. So maybe that. Got tons of options. Probably won't apply until I am two weeks out .most ltl carriers need bodies sooner than later

4. LTL Trucker

LTL Trucker Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Yeah it's funny how when you freeze wages for 10 years and take away retirement contributions, how the positive culture in a company can change to negativity.

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    I own stocks, and a Roth IRA mutual fund. All my accounts have done exceptionally well. I'd be out of my mind if I depended on a company to take care of me . The financial decions I make are independent from whoever I work for.

In my opinion, it is not the employers job to take care of you after you leave.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    speedyk and Cardfan89 Thank this.
  6. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    I agree with you, as I also contribute to a Roth, and 401k. I believe a 401k is far superior to a pension as you own the account and make investment decisions yourself. But we negotiated pension contributions based on hours worked. We could have just as easily opted to take those contributions in the form of hourly wages. So it's not about the employer taking care of me after retirement. It's about the investment income generated from the contributions the employer made on my behalf throughout my working years. In my opinion it's no different than a company providing a 401k match, and then taking the match away. The prior contributions were part of my compensation package, and when that is taken away its no different than than cutting my hourly wage.

Bravolima Thanks this.
  7. Kohltrain

Kohltrain Bobtail Member

Dec 13, 2016
    I worked at Reddaway almost at year. Very low paying job, crappy runs... was stuck on a Sacramento to Medford run layover bid run the whole time I was there at .46cpm with 23 years of clean driving experience. Would run to Fontana occasionally....let me tell you, what a joke of a company....If anyone has been there since 1972 I say thats your fault.

8. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Now you have my attention cause I agree with you and I think we have some common ground.

Reddaway contribution to their retirement plan suck... But have, without argument gone up gradually over the past few years. It's not as great as to prior of the YRC buyout... But it's gradually getting better.

9. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    Do you happen to know what the current contribution rate is?

10. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    It goes off of hours worked. I averaged 60/week and Reddaway contributed roughly $300/month to my account. You do the math... It is better than nothing I guess

11. LTL Trucker

Apr 10, 2018
    As of right now I would say FedEx freight is the front-runner. The average FedEx freight line driver makes $2,500 a month more than the average reddaway line haul and also gets twice the contribution from the company into their retirement. Sure they have to pay at $320 a month medical premium for similar coverage, but that's peanuts when you make $2,500 more a month.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.