reddaway line haul.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Riffraff37, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Riffraff37

Riffraff37 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2019
    I did actually and so far I'm loving it.
    It was alittle hectic at first because they had to ship me somewhere else for training due to my terminal only have 1 line trainer.
    But besides that it is great. I do pretty much the same run every day, and when I say day, I mean day.
    While I do not have a set start time, because of where my terminal is located I am running day/swing shifts rather than graveyard. I get to live in the daytime and the money is the best I've ever made.

roel1177, dwells40, The Shadow and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018

Congrats man!

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    You may or may not realize it, but anyone on here that is familiar with linehaul will tell you that you are incredibly fortunate. Many LTL barns do not have daytime runs, and the ones that do have them set aside for their top drivers.

You may want to stay where you are at, it's not very likely that you will find another setup like this again.

Congrats.

McUzi, Muttsley, skinnytrucker and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Riffraff37

May 5, 2019
    That is what everyone has been saying to me. That I hit the lottery of ltl jobs. That I'd be an idiot to give it up.

road_runner and McUzi Thank this.
  6. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Not to butter your bun. But daytime linehaul are considered the Holy Grail of LTL. To spare you the lesson in logistics, daytime line is usually expedited freight from a 24/7 shipper to a 24/7 receiver. This type of setup is extremely rare and the accounts involved are entrusted to a driver with 15+ years as an incentive to keep driving.

The right amount of people died or retired at the same time for you to get this. Thank your lucky stars. Most of us would be willing to beat you up to get that run.

McUzi, Muttsley, roel1177 and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Riffraff37

May 5, 2019
    Wanted to give an update with the job as reddaway.
    For the most part it is the easiest job I've ever had. That's being said with it being my first trucking job in mind.
    I pick a truck up from point A, drive it to point B, drop my trailers, hook up trailers, then go back to point A, post trip and go home.
    I start anywhere from 1130 in the morning to 5 in the evening, random every day. My day is usually 9.5 to 10 hours.
    The only complaint I have, and this could probably just be my inexperience. Is the on call crap. For the most part I get a call every morning around 9 from a sweet sounding old lady. But one day I got a call saying I didn't have a run, then got a call at like 630 at night saying they needed me to jump up and go get a truck. Kinda irritating, I turned it down due to letting someone use the car believing I had the day off. Dispatch (not the sweet little old lady, some dude), didn't sound happy.
    Aside from that this job is going very well. I can honestly say that aside from the stupid ### California drivers, it's pretty stress free and kicked backed.

roel1177, 3031, jmz and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    On call is more or less extra board. If you have a large barn with a lot of drivers, there will usually be a bid system where routes, trucks, and start times are assigned. The lower guys sometimes don't have a bid and fall under extra board where they may end up with everything random, or not get called in at all. When I was linehaul at Reddaway, there was only two of us and both of us were considered extra board. We had our own trucks and ran mostly the same routes, but they could swap us around at the drop of a hat
    They old lady that calls you, her name doesn't happen to be Elaine? She was the one that usually worked with when I ran through the weekend.

9. Riffraff37

May 5, 2019
    Yeah, they never really taught me the ropes of extra board. When I had called in and was told I didn't have a run today, I didn't realize that meant they could change their minds and call me back up later that night.
    We don't have assigned trucks. We drive to a turn point and pick up whatever truck is waiting for us. The trucks are assigned more to the run rather than the driver.

Nah, her name is Robin.

road_runner Thanks this.
  10. Skorge

Skorge Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2019
    I feel ya on the shi t ty schedule. Im on call too. Everything is great where i work except the schedule

roel1177 Thanks this.
  11. BigDoggOnMe

BigDoggOnMe Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Just got hired for extra board out here in Fresno, I was wondering if it would be a good fit to leave something like Hauling dirt to go try out reddaway. I have a baby on the way but I just can’t pass up the opportunity to get fully paid benefits with a company like this. I’ve been looking up linehaul positions and it seems that the jobs Are pretty laid-back. My only concern is will I actually get ours while I’m on extra board and also another concern is being called in to work at random times of the day. Does the schedule ever gain any consistency and how long does it take to get off of extra board. Also of course I’m worried about not getting enough hours at the same time. If anybody could let me know what to expect it would be much appreciated, thank you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.