Redneck At The Scale

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Goan Smee, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Goan Smee

Goan Smee Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2018
    About two decades ago I leased my antique Pete 359 to Ranger (Landstar). I took a load from South Carolina to Waco, TX. A quick trip, I had my appointment set up for Monday morning & started my journey Sunday evening.
    All was well until I got to Shreveport... that scale was generally closed on Sunday nights. Anyway it was open and apparently the troll living under the bridge there was lonely. So... I get a red light. The troll comes out, ignores the big red letters on my mirror “THIS IS NOT A HANDLE” and proceeds to swing on it like a chimp.
    He asks me if I have a brother in Dallas. i said no. Then he asks “are you sure?” I confirmed I was... then asked why. He went on about there is a guy in Dallas that looks exactly like me... then asked again! After about the 4th round I asked... “Is your dad’s name Jerry?” He said “No, it’s Bill (or something)... why do you ask?” So being stupid I said... “Well you keep swinging on my mirror like one of “Jerry’s kids” so I thought you might be one of them.”
    Bad idea! He jumped down, screamed “park over there! get your paperwork & logbook & bring it inside!”
    While waiting inside another truck comes thru. Boom... red light for no reason! The driver comes in. The troll is still going over my log... (I was off for two days before I started my trip). He couldn’t find anything wrong so that pissed him off even more.
    Now he’s checking the other driver’s stuff. The driver pulls out a little Jeff Foxworth calendar... “ You might be a redneck if...” points to a picture, then at the guy, back to the picture... I’m about to explode laughing. Problem is the troll has his back to us but can clearly see us in the reflection in the window. Oops!
    So... he gets up. Grabs the calendar, looks at it then says... “You two are a couple of real comedians, let’s see how funny I can be when I inspect your trucks.”
    I’m thinking... “Good luck with that... I spent yesterday polishing every last detail” I kept my truck perfect!
    Years prior I had added a polished aluminum deck plate between the sleeper & 5th wheel. Obviously not stock. So he says “oh look, we have chafing air lines.” I asked how he figured that” then he said that if I get into a major dip, then turn 90 degrees or more, before the tractor tires rise from the dip, the air lines could possibly rub on the plate. I said “If I was stupid enough to try that, I’d rip the landing gear off my trailer, then flip the trailer as it tried to come out of the dip sideways.” “Doesn’t matter... the lines might rub!” I informed him that it’s been that way for over a million miles and it hasn’t hit yet. Then he said... “Well this is a judgement call and you are parked for the night.” Then went after the other guy.
    About 5:00am a new guy showed up. We waited for the redneck troll to leave then went back inside. The new guy, already had a big smile on his face and asked what we did to piss off the troll. I started telling the story and when I got to the part about Jerry’s kids, he shot hot coffee out his nose!
    I swear he must have laughed for twenty minutes! I never even finished the story! Anyway he gave us all our stuff back & said to hit the road. Even thanked us for pissing the guy off! Apparently even the guys he works with hate him.
    I was able to make my delivery a few hours late. They enjoyed the story too.

snowman_w900, Badmon, mladen86 and 9 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
  4. grumpygor

grumpygor Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    British Columbia
    That reminds me of that old b,,,,,d Gerhke, in Laurel Montana years ago. He was so bad that the State Police hated his guts, he always had three trucks in the scale, one awaiting, one enduring and one surviving, torture. I don't know for sure if it is true but I heard that on night someone shot up the scale house and they took 45 minutes to respond. First cop,"Hey someone shot at Gehrke, he might be bleeding to death". Second Cop, "really, let's go for coffee " .

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    If you've been out on the roads for a few years mate you'd know by now that the last thing you want to do is give one of those blokes (officers ) an excuse for all you know it was another driver that had really stirred him up now whats he going to do ? That's right take it out on the next driver that shows up at the scales. While i don't see anything wrong with what you said i can also understand why this officer may have lost it, its a fine line i just do the same as when were going through border control those officers ask alot of really senseless questions if i was to be a little smart with them i'd be called out in the back room and grilled, those guys are just looking for an excuse to show how powerful they really are and we are unfortunately at their mercy so one just has to grudgingly show them the respect they probably don't deserve or pay the price.

6. Retired and busy

Retired and busy Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I have no idea what year it was. Pulling for a union company that ran day cabs. I was out of hours here at point A-----------------------------------------------------------But drove the 90 miles to point B to stay at a better hotel. Few hundred miles the next morning I hit a scale house---- I'm golden-- backed the previous day up, started the required hours later today. Scale guy puts me in the back yard and wants to see my logs. Everything is perfect, he asked " Where did you spend the night last night"? I tell him ( the town my logs showed). He said "Got a motel receipt"? I told him i didnt stay in a hotel. " Well without a sleeper, where did you sleep"? ---------I replied--- " I really don't want to disclose that information". Now he is getting annoyed-------WHY NOT--- "Well sir, her husband is a Motor Carrier Enforcement Officer and he was working a scale somewhere last night while I was putting a smile on her face". WELL here comes the creeper party, but I knew I was in good shape, tractor and trailer less than a month old. As he "creeps " under my trailer he instructs me to get in the tractor and listen to his commands. I tell him it would be better for me to stay under the trailer with him, and his buddy can jump in the cab. Again being the inquisitive person he is he ask Why. Well sir--- my 9/16th wrench is under the seat, I have no idea where yours is at. 1.5 later I'm rolling, no tickets, nothing. :)

jamespmack Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.