Reefer Calibration?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by PE_T, Jun 19, 2018.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Is there such thing as reefer calibration, or is it just ensuring proper maintenance is done on the reefer and perhaps regularly placing a thermometer inside the trailer to ensure it matches the reefer display box temp?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The intake air temp can be calibrated and set by a technician. They'll place a pre-calibrateed wireless transmit thermometer on the floor in the nose and close it up and ideally will set a near freezing temp and verify/set, then run the temp up 20-30 degrees and insure it properly tracks there as well. They rarely get off enough to create problems, though. However if a thermostat is truly bad (defective) it can be off enough to cause serious problems

magoo68, Ole school trucker and PE_T Thank this.
  4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Reefer computer uses calibrated thermocouples to measure temperature. If sensor is out calibration computer will set the alarm code.
    For good sleeping I use 3 sensors ACURITE thermometer. 1 sensor front, 1 on the middle 1 on the tail. Place them high enough as lumpers couldn't hit with high stack pallets.
    Multi-Sensor Thermometer with 3 Temperature Sensors

Ole school trucker and PE_T Thank this.
  5. reeferwrencher

reeferwrencher Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2018
    The discharge and return air sensors on TK are graded but that shouldn't be a problem unless one of them has been changed or the micro has been changed and the mechanic didn't set(calibrate) the numbers,which can happen.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I am now using an Acurite thermometer/sensor I bought from Amazon. It works really well, and I can set alarms if the temp gets too high or low. It came with 3 sensors, but I’m using only one and keeping the rest as backup.

Snailexpress Thanks this.
  7. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    You can put sensors in front and middle trailer to control temperature. I was surprised by difference between front and rear. Front is much hotter.

PE_T Thanks this.
  8. Calman

Calman Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2023
    Actually there is. It's called a temperature uniformity survey or TUS. I do them several times a year.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.