Reefer Floor styles

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Midwest Trucker, Oct 10, 2020.

  1. Midwest Trucker

    Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

    2,941
    7,450
    Aug 31, 2018
    0
    Why are some floors flat and others have the deep grooves? What is that all about?
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. wichris

    wichris Road Train Member

    2,330
    2,487
    Jan 17, 2011
    0
    Floor loaded air flow.
     
    truckguy391, alds and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

    Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

    2,941
    7,450
    Aug 31, 2018
    0
    Ahh ok, so is there any disadvantage to the groove type? I do see some flat floors but by and large groove. What about advantage to flat floors?
     
  5. wichris

    wichris Road Train Member

    2,330
    2,487
    Jan 17, 2011
    0
    Flat floors are good for LTL. Move a hand pallet jack around on a duct floor. If everything you haul is on pallets, never racks or floor, they're fine. Steep dock and frozen the forklift slides around on a flat floor.
     
  6. Midwest Trucker

    Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

    2,941
    7,450
    Aug 31, 2018
    0
  7. Brettj3876

    Brettj3876 Road Train Member

    The grooved floors give a lot more traction for food service companies
     
    Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  8. 88 Alpha

    88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

    4,092
    11,147
    May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    0
    I've actually wondered about this myself.

    Most of our trailers have roll-up doors and all of them have the flat floors with no air chutes on the ceiling. Our swinging-door trailers all have grooved floors.

    95% of our loads are -10* and go from the kill plants to the freezer warehouse, the other 5% are 26* and are plant-to-plant transfers.

    The explanations provided in this thread make a lot of sense why our roll-up door trailers don't have grooved floors.
     
    Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. lilillill

    lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

    5,021
    9,720
    Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    0
    Corrugated (grooved) floors are for iced loads (meat, produce). It provides a pathway for melt water to get to the drain holes.

    Flat floor reefers are typically used by grocery warehouses for transfer of dry chill or frozen groceries.
     
    KB3MMX and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  10. bad-luck

    bad-luck Road Train Member

    1,369
    1,607
    Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    0
    Corrugated floors are for air flow and drainage, especially if you have a floor load. They are more difficult to sweep out, and don't hold up as well as flat floors.
    Flat floors are approximately 500 pounds heavier, they last longer, and are easy to sweep out.

    My old trailer had a Corrugated floor, my new trailer is a flat floor and I love it.
     
    KB3MMX and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted