Reefer madness!

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Bolt Thrower, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2019
    I've not been in the industry long and thinking about switching over to reefer with Magnum. I've given up on tanking until I have at least 2 years experience under my belt. Why not reffer? What's the average pay for company driver with 6 months or under experience? I swore I would never drive a dry van or reefer but here we are I'm fixing to make that transition LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I wouldnt do anything else...

That being said. You need to get on with a good place for company drivers. There are plenty of short runs that are lucrative as hell for the company but you may only earn low pay maybe 100, 150 a day. If you are paid by the mile you want the long miles. @Chinatown can offer some suggestions if you give your home location nearest big city. I always found reefer much more lucrative as an owner operator. Drop and hook dry van you probably make more, maybe a few cents less per mile but you win when it comes to time taking to pickup and deliver. I dunno. I like it.

KB3MMX, bzinger and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Oor

Oor Road Train Member

Jan 11, 2012
    My last trainee had 6 months so I believe this is correct.

.42 cpm + .07 cpm in bonus.

11,500 miles per month (needed for top bonus) x .49 cpm = $5635.

Additional .05 cpm on hazmat loads.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Magnum is a good choice; no bad reviews that I can find.
    I'm also a fan of Freymiller, Schuster, FFE for reefer companies.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I like FFE.

I do not like the Grocery. Even though I built my younger years doing nothing but that in reefer. I learned to run medicines with McKesson in Memphis. With the exception of teams my particular task was strictly solo support of the west coast teams in Arkansas with their trailers so they don't have to run 500 miles just to get loaded from little rock to Memphis and then back west. It's drop hook for them, just as it is for me.

I'll be speaking with the Revenuer in the morning and see where i stand. We'll see how it goes.

Again, FFE is a adventure in Reefer, but you do the work within their structure. Arkansas had one time in Batesville pretty much one of the best smaller company reefer outfit ever, Dowdy. Its a strange name to some but they probably have been out of business for some time. I am seeing some of the old properties in NLR completely under the ownership of other fleets. So I must assume they are out of the industry.

Keep in mind, you probably will stand to lose time in some places waiting to load, waiting to unload and if not careful lose your shirt financially to third party lumpers when you do not get reimbursed.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    That's why you pay a lumper with t check or com check directly from either your company or the broker or whoever's paying the freight bill. You can use cash, but the FIRST time you get burned is the LAST time you try to make the ordeal easy.

Fwiw I don't do lumpers anymore, not part of my business, when it was, I've never been burned on paying and collecting it back later.

8. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I"m a company driver and pull refer. All I can add to this is that I get all the miles I can handle and it doesn't tend to fluctuate as much as other types of freight. It's been said many times before, but I'll say it again....People always eat and need food.

Concorde and bzinger Thank this.
  9. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I've done flatbed, dry van, reefer. I'll take reefer all day. Consistent runs, lots of night driving, can make big money if you travel all 48, and the reefer running helps me sleep lol

10. Bolt Thrower

Bolt Thrower Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2019
    What is the average wait time to get loaded and unloaded? I used to do tanking and our average wait time was 2 hours. Do a lot of companies paid detention pay if you just sitting there for hours on end?

11. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    It varies widely. Sometimes I can get loaded or unloaded in an hour. Other times maybe 3 or 4 hours. I don't mind the load times if I'm on a long haul...which is primarily what I do. Yes. most companies pay detention time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.