Reefer models for frozen

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by abyliks, Feb 1, 2020.

1. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    So I’m new to the reefer side of trucking, been renting a trailer the last few months and looking to buy a decent used one (preferably from an owner opp). I have found two trailers locally, one has an sb200, one has an 7300 x4 carrier, I would prefer a TK but I’m a little off on the model numbers, would an sb200 (or the 7300). Be able to hold -10 - 0 or is that more of a chilled/produce unit? I believe the one I’ve been yanking around has a 230 on it, I have mainly been hauling frozen and I don’t want to constantly over work a smaller unit, just curious on everyone’s $0.02, thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The age of the trailer and brand play a big part also. I’d try to find the newest model trailer that you can afford. Preferably Great Dane or utility.
    If you have cash to buy, then start checking out the auctions.

bzinger, PE_T and abyliks Thank this.
  4. abyliks

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    those are the only two I have been looking at, trying to find a 2010 or newer that I can get ~3 years out of then if I decide I want to stay on reefer buy something new.

both those units are on a utility trailer. The TK 200 is on a 2011 which is the one I was leaning too if the 200 could handle the frozen

062 Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    -10 is not enough.

Reefers maintain whatever temperature the cargo loaded into it is at. Reefers cannot cool hot product down. It's a losing battle. Not even God's Freezer can do it to paraphrase.

Most of my reefers have been Great Dane over the years. Thermoking or Carrier as typical. Several were older reefers not worth talking about here. (Older mechanical units, all or nothing) -20 or so is the bottom for them in ice cream or dough etc.

100 gallon tank. Anything less is cheating yourself and starving the unit. You would understand if the Reefer is in Death Valley in August day it's dealing with closer to 180F outside while trying to hold -20 inside. You would love your 100 gallon fuel tank on the trailer then. (What I mean by the high temps outside is what the unit itself is enduring. Ambient Temp situation between the cab and trailer)

You probably will want to pass word computer unit if possible. People have a bad habit of killing reefers because they cannot stand it while you are asleep.

You will need the usual corner steps on the front to reach the upper front corner vent flap and the rear trailer door also needs a rear vent flap. In the floor corners should be a hole for draining fluids. Or rotten blood etc from spoiled loads.

Tractors today have become Obese. In my time 20 years ago you could probably put 49500 into a great dane and scale it depending on tractor fuel. Today more like 45000 from what I understand (Emissions +1000 pounds etc) You will want aluminum wheels on that great dane. Not for looks but to shave a few pounds off it's tare. I think those things tare at about 14500 empty. Which isnt that bad.

There is no point getting fancy on the body or other things. If you have doors covered in stainless steel and a white body overall then your reefer will do well in sunshine when it's hot. There is a practical defense against heat build up with these things. Again not for looks.

I throw in my stake on the Danes, I have no reason not to rely on a Dane and TK combination provided it has the beef to get to -20 and stay there. Just need a few little things to go with it. I don't need much.

If your trailer comes with ABS? Great. IF it comes with the special ABS function where only the side that is threatening to dig in and roll your trailer gets braking then have that too. You don't usually have time to sit out bad weather.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Every thing else equal the 7300 will be just a bit better.
    Back in September I picked up a 16 Great Dane with a 7500. The old trailer was a 10 utility with a sb210. I do ltl and was running Texas at the time. It was starting to struggle to get back to temp after putting off stops.
    I haven’t compared specs between the two, but I can say this carrier moves a ton more air than the tk.

bzinger Thanks this.
  7. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    The TK SB line is a reliable motor, but they do not have the same cooling capacity as the Carrier 7300's.

How many hours are on each?
    We had SB units with 30k hours on them and they still worked decent until its 110* outside and your sitting on blacktop trying to precool

How well are the trailers insulated?
    More insulation = easier to maintain temp

One thing to be mindful of is the displays on the Carriers. The x4 series run everything thru the display. It decides to stop working, you have no control of what is happening in the box.

abyliks Thanks this.
  8. abyliks

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    One of the 7300 is actually on a GD trailer, 2016 unit with 6k hours but on an 08 trailer, The other is on a 2014 utility with 15k hours, the sb200 is on a 2011 utility with 11k hours, there is another utility with a 310 and 14k hours but it’s also an 08 and in a little tougher shape (all though not horrible, I’m just picky)

I mainly run the north east, though a trip west or south once in a while will not be be out of the question, I’ve been looking for lower hours more then anything so I can get ~3 years out of what I buy

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  9. Mike250rs

Mike250rs Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    The SB 310 is a tank, but the 08 trailer is the issue, unless it was well maintained. Even then, the insulation degrades over time with damages and shoddy repair jobs.

Running mostly NE, I would go with the 2014 Utility. GD shops are scarce the part of the world.

abyliks and 062 Thank this.
  10. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I also vote for the 14. You should be able to run it several years. I know of several of the 2500’s that have over 20k hours and and still mostly trouble free. Plus it’ll have more value when you decide to get rid of it.

abyliks Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

If you plan on using it for OTR, I’d highly recommend a new reefer, especially for frozen loads. The breakdowns and OS&D issues you can have from using older reefers can end up costing you the same if not more than a new reefer.

Local or regional companies usually don’t have to worry about old reefers because they can return back to their warehouse whenever the reefer is malfunctioning. You see, local deliveries often times don’t have seals because these drivers are making multiple deliveries in one day. On the other hand, when you’re hauling OTR, you’ll probably have a seal.

If you still want to buy used, then I would recommend to replace the trailer doors or perhaps just the seals around the doors, so the reefer won’t struggle to maintain frozen temperatures, especially during summer. Also, make sure the reefer you get has a trailer chute as some brokers require it. One more point, get a 53’ trailer as it can be used on many different loads.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.