reefer works like start stop mode

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Gulsher, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Gulsher

Gulsher Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Hello Gentlemen
    We have a problem with one of our reefers. It has thermoking SB 210 +. If its hot outside it works like start stop. You set it up at 34 it cools it down very quick to 34 on a high speed and then it goes to normal speed and the temp goes up until 44 and then it starts on a high speed again and cools it down to 34. It keeps playing like that all day long until night and once the outside temp is below 85 it starts working normal. We took it to some dealer but those guys always says its normal. we almost had a claim on a insurance because of that. Any idea why it doing that
    Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Low on refrigerant? Low on coolant? You took it to "some dealer." Did you take it to someone who specializes in Thermoking, or did you take it to someone who is trying to sell you a new reefer?
    Do you have any independent reefer repairmen in your area? That might be worth your while to check out.

Gulsher Thanks this.
  4. Gulsher

Nov 26, 2013

I took it to only thermoking dealer. Everything looks ok no fault code. Works perfect but not holding the set ut temp. The display shows its cooling but the inside temp goes up and up in normal run. When it goes around 10 degree higher the set up degree, then only it starts on high speed and cools it down very quick. There are not good places in NJ that you take to them and they can fix it. The thermoking dealer is alwas 2 weeks behind and their prices are very high. We try to repair them at west cost. Now its in Tolleson AZ. They just called me and told that the three way Valve is not working properly. The valve that controls heat, cool and defrost. Lets see what they come up with again.

Big Don Thanks this.
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    What happens if you change it to continuous mode? Still have the wide temperature swings?

I'd have the unit reset to all factory defaults. Sounds like a key parameter is set squirrelly.

MachoCyclone Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Unacceptable.

Set temp and reefer must hold that temp. I would not use or load your broken wild swing reefer until it's fixed.

So what if Thermoking dealer is pricey, in fact how much more will a burned up load cost you in claims if insurance found out you have been having trouble with the reefer hmm?

Any decent reefer shop will not stop work on your trailer until it's fixed.

This is a case where I strongly suggest keeping two spare reefer motors for every 100 trailers you own. That way you can swap out the entire reefer front, slap a new one on, ship busted reefer motor and stuff to shop while your trailer continues to work off the spare a while.

Remember reefers maintain set temp provided the product is already at that temp. It does not have the strength to actually cool a product once it begins to warm up. You can totally lose a load this way when it has a chance to thaw out...

Big Don and hunted Thank this.
  7. Gulsher

Nov 26, 2013
    I mean paying pricey is fine if they do the job done but they just invoice you and dond do anything. I dont haul reefer load now. We just get him a dry load. I know its risky to get a reefer load. 2 time they just washed the condenser and saying its OK. But I knew its not OK. Yesterday they even took it out of the shop and saying it works perfect. I told the guy dont leave untill we make sure. Noticed again temp is jumping. Took it back to them. And only by the end of the day they called me and told that its Valve problem. They will change it today. Lets see what is going to happen today.

8. Gulsher

Nov 26, 2013
    Its running on a continuous mode and cant maintain the setup temp. Still have the wide temperature swings

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We're not talking about the unit repeatedly entering defrost mode are we?

10. Gulsher

Nov 26, 2013
    No. It doesnt defrost. Just normal run but the temp goes up slowly until it goes to high speed

11. TruckerNewbie91

TruckerNewbie91 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you change the variance that the reefer is allowed away from the set point? Is it possible that this setting has been changed?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.