Refresher course

Discussion in 'Werner' started by Rollin_18, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Rollin_18

Rollin_18 Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    How's everybody going? Haven't been on here in a while. I graduated from Roadmaster in Columbus, Oh back in Feb of this year. I'm just wondering how long you have before you need to take a refresher course? I know USX told me I had 18 months, the only thing about USX is I have a feeling I'm going to get a auto trans truck and I hate autos.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wanderingaimlessly

Wanderingaimlessly Medium Load Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Hate to say it, but with no experience you are probably already looking at having to take a refresher course.

4. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    USX told me I'm good to go with them. The only thing is the auto trucks, if Werner says I need a refresher course ill go USX. I was thinking that something, I was pissed when all this BS went down right after I passed my test to get my cdl. I was pissed because I been wanting to drive since I was a kid and I had made it that close and was told I had some unpaid tickets from 2 years ago and I couldn't drive til December basically of this year, the first thing that came to mind was "there goes a waste of about 7 grand because now I have to take a #### refresher". I believe USX is the only company like that will take me considering the gab from school to actually driving was so long. I'm hoping on Werner lol sounds funny to say that after all the bad I have read on here, but there is bad about every company on this site.

5. Wanderingaimlessly

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Good luck, let us know what happens.

6. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks. Ill keep y'all posted. I plan on doing YouTube videos once I'm driving.

7. Diab33tus

Diab33tus Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Lansing Michigan
    USX is getting rid of all of there autos and only buying standards now

8. Rollin_18

Dec 6, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've heard that. I also heard that they still had a ton of autos left in the fleet. I guess I'll have to suck up my pride and drive a auto until I get a manual lol maybes its my Youngblood because my dad said he would rather have a auto then a manual

9. Wanderingaimlessly

Jun 18, 2013
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Maybe he is getting flashbacks from having to those 2 or 3 stick manuals. The old timer that got me started used to tell me the stories of those rigs.

10. didimau

didimau Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I can understand having to do refresher courses if out for a long period. BUT--- I've heard (and tend to agree) the companies have you go out with a trainer too long a time to get "refreshed". This is because they pay you way less when you're doing the course than what you're worth because of your experience, so they take advantage of the refresher period and stretch it out. Do this with all the experienced drivers coming back in ---- you're talkin' plenty money. After all if these drivers have been driving 10---15 years , how long does it take to get "back in the saddle"? A friend told me one company has an 8 week course if you've been out over 5 years , I think he said. Another one charges $1200 for 2 weeks or so. Just seems strange to me. I believe that this is contributing to the so called driver shortage. When an experienced driver hears that length he 'needs to refresh', he has a good chance of just forgetting the whole thing. JMO

11. Davezilla

Davezilla Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    Avoid USX like the plague. I went through their orientation once, and they charged me $300 on my credit report for the cost of orientation.

USX is hands down the worst company I've been to. It was absolutely ludicrous.

Their company policy was like a list of all the things I hated about every other company I had worked for.

I'm not a fan of Werner, but USX is absolutely horrible by comparison.

Matt43324 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.