Refrigerated Loads

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by dirttrackking55, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Just another reason to avoid the medium to large carriers. Hubby's been running reefer for almost 5 years, and never had issues with any of the loads he's hauled, and his company isn't as nit-picky as some of these others sound, and he's delivered to some of the largest outfits around. Guess it's just the trucking companies that are the nit-picky ones. Only time he's had a load rejected was when it was produce that shouldn't have been loaded in the first place, but put in the dumpster. Gotta love not being able to be on the dock.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Back in the year 2000, I was running dry van. Picked up a load of FROZEN butter. Yes, frozen butter, in a dry van. I don't remember the temp it had been stored at before picking it up, but it was seriously frozen. Hauled it from California to northern WI, and it didn't even have ice crystals on it by time we got to WI with it. So much for the 'trust'. Trust had nothing to do with it. The shipper knew it was a dry van and it didn't matter. Why???? Because it wasn't going to thaw in that short time.

Ever seen watermelons, onions, apples, and other produce loaded on flatbeds? It happens.

Before you start raking older, more experienced drivers over the coals, maybe think and learn a thing or two. Too many people are trying to make such a big deal out of running reefer, when it really is not that difficult at all.

4. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Hey Littlebit nice Ta c ya round again--hope all's well:D
    Oh yeah & runnin a reefer IS harder--u no how difficult it is finding 2 mt flatbeds to blindside in between to park
    everynite??

NavigatorWife and Lilbit Thank this.
  5. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    All's quite well thanks! Just been a bit chaotic lately, and I'm getting use to being able to do things again!

6. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    I have no idea what the difference is. But we haul dove ice cream bars. They want it set at -20. SO that is what we set it at.

Yes, I have only been "driving" for two years, but am 48 years old this August. I have been in this world a long time and have seen enough to be able to recognize honesty.

If a shipper wants the refr set at a certain temp, and you agree to the terms of the contract, and then do not follow them? 'cause there aint no need. We been runnin' for years wit no problem...

Well that is what kills America. Or should I have said killed? People that go back on their word. The honest trucker bid the job for what was in the contract. So did the cheater. Guess who wins in the end?

In situation you referenced, if the receiver knew it was a dry van, then no harm no fowl.

But to say you will run the temps on the bills and then not do it is nothing but wrong. No matter if there is damage or not.

Mikeeee

alds and buddyvuk Thank this.
  7. Old Skool Gear Head

Old Skool Gear Head Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2013
    [​IMG] Originally Posted by 'olhand [​IMG] I think over time I've posted some pretty good Info on this---BUT i gotta tell yall-?Yall way overthink this ####! Produce is one thing everything else isn't sure a few of u will tell me this example or that-)but im gonna tell ya 98% of receivers esp big one don't check ####--if anything a guard notes the temp when u check in--and frozen--please biggest joke in the world--is the product still rock hard--yup nuff said
    stop worrying so-much
    And just in case u think im makin it up--i am under a so called -10 load right now--68deg--in s Louisiana guess what my reefer is OFF--ever see how long it takes to defrost anything(cept ice cream) that's frozen solid out of a cold storage--much longer than think--product was rock hard @ shipper--loaded with unit off---I NEVER Precool--less ur buyin the fuel-?closed doors set unit @0 10 mins unit off--product is frozen--shut unit off after scaling 10 mins away--turn on 2-3xa day never takes more n 10 mins for unit to shut off again--and i loaded in s TX 85deg--now 1 hour b4 del in NY mon am--start unit set to zero15 mins later @0 then drop to -5 takes another 15 then set to -10 (2 keep anal guard happy)ride 10 mins to drop all is well--just under 1/2 tank reefer fuel in s TX thur nite still almost 1/3 tank 3.5 days later and load is Fine
    Just

I am pretty sure I had a burrito from this load.......called in sick to work next morning.................

alds and Short Fuse EOD Thank this.
  8. buddyvuk

buddyvuk Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    portland oregon
    i agree with pmracing mikee..... follow what contract says ..simple

9. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    Not so fast.
    There is a Mondovi, wi reefer company, that tells its drivers to set -10 (bol temp) to -01. Then when the drivers says the bol says -10 you have to scan in the page that says -10 .
    They are doing this in attempt to save reefer fuel.
    And make it a headache for the driver, cause when he checks in at the receiver and the refer is set to -01, the receiver will want to know why. they they have to sit there and go back and forth, explaining, that Mondovi, said to set it at -01

buddyvuk Thanks this.
  10. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Whomever gives such instructions at the shipper must sign or at least initial the bills with the new temp indicated.

It is not my job to explain, or worse, my responsibility to accept.

Mikeeee

alds and buddyvuk Thank this.
  11. ed2010

ed2010 Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Sounds like you might know... Which reefer is better? 2004 Carrier or 2004 Thermo King?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.