Refusing to help a officer perform a inspection

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by m16ty, Mar 30, 2019.

1. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    As posted above.
    I don't remember the Constitution mentioning, drivers not helping during inspection process.
    These are not the "rights" soldiers have died for.
    Either way. Much easier for the DOT to write you OOS if your equipment doesn't meet safety standards.
    Why argue with the inspector? When we got our CDL everyone knows CMV,s are subject to inspection.

Why assume an inspection will result in a monetary loss?

I was inspected couple years ago in Colorado. I have Jake's and Colorado requires a muffler, I had straight pipes. $2,000 something fine.
    Inspector gave me a warning. No fine.
    Maybe I'm just lucky with the inspectors
    I get, or having a respectful attitude helps.

If you're given an unjust ticket, you can call the officers supervisor.
    Good luck.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    No, it does not. Rights are NOT vocation-dependent.

Oxbow, m16ty, adayrider and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    I don't like to give ammo the man who could go out his way to make my life hard I take the issue out there area being the field is there's right or wrong it can get ugly fast and it's your word on there's they can make up crap real fast so dispute it in court with a lawyer seen many trucker fight a simple issue getting handcuffed refused to so much as showing their ID or other no brainer stuff I am not saying you don't have rights but when a cop throws your arse to ground you best stop resisting play dead maybe though in that case, they make break your spine personally ones I have encounter are thugs with a badge. itchy have their hand on that gun when approaching my vehicle.

5. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    No, he wrote it up as an OOS but I was free to go as soon as I moved my glasses from around my neck to my nose. So I have an OOS on my record when technically I wasn't OOS. It was the Ashland POE northbound side.

Dave_in_AZ and Scooter Jones Thank this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    That is just ridiculous.

SteveScott and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  7. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Those are the kind of tickets that I will spend an insane amount of money just to waste the court's time.

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Which sounds good, but they aren’t paying out of their own pocket to fight you back.... they’re paying out of taxpayers pockets. Their accountability is quite limited in that respect.

Scooter Jones, wore out and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Whenever I see someone getting it, I so feel for the guy. His sacrifice ties up some ### wad, so the rest of us can keep going.

Scooter Jones and SteveScott Thank this.
  10. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    I guess it depends on where you live. As a company driver with less than satisfactory equipment, which was pretty much every company, all the fines go on the company. I have racked up thousands of dollars of fines and 2 oos. Didn’t bother me one bit. Told the cops you know how it is. You don’t haul it, you pack your stuff and we get someone else. They write the company up for every little thing imagianbale

11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I’ve had good inspections and I’ve had bad. The last one was a level 2, and even thought the officer put me OOS, I consider it a good inspection.

I was bobtail to a power only load, it was raining cats and dogs and AL State Trooper pulled me over for a non-working tail light. He was a nice enough guy about it, and even let me travel to the next exit to fix it, even though I was placed OSS. I told him everything was working when I did the pre-trip, but he just looked at me like “yea, I’ve heard that before”. Come to find out that during all that rain moisture had gotten inside the fixture and blew the bulb. He was a nice enough guy about the whole deal though, and I even let him climb up in the passenger seat, to get in out of the rain, as he finished writing my inspection report.

The inspection before that was a nightmare, even though I left there with a clean inspection. I could tell we were going to have problems when I saw the way he was strutting up to the truck in my rear view mirror. He grilled me on everything, like every answer I gave to questions was a lie. The guy just had a bad attitude all the way around. The guy just said “I can’t find anything wrong, just go on”, and didn’t give me any paperwork, clean inspection sticker, or anything. I was so happy when he told me to go, I didn’t ask any questions and just got out of there.

stwik, Ruthless and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.