Remember To Set Your Brakes

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by mjd4277, Aug 8, 2020.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i too always checked a second time. sometimes a third.......OCD kicks in

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Considering the alternative is damaging property and or injuring or killing someone, I’d say there’s nothing wrong with making a habit of that in my book

tommymonza, truckguy391, Tb0n3 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm so focused on making sure that knob is pulled out that I have been know to let the clutch out before slipping the stick to neutral.

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I often get up out of bed, after laying down, to check it, even though I can hear it’s on fast idle, and must be set! It’s kind of like always checking to make sure it’s in neutral, before starting. At least once, I’ve found it in gear. Must have bumped it, getting out or something.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    That's my company lol. I wonder if I'll see that on the lot.

7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    When I trained for my cdl I always got yelled at by my fellow trainees who were behind the wheel after me because I always left the truck in gear.

So they would start it in gear without pushing the clutch in.

They had never driven anything but automatic personal vehicles all their lives

I grew up with always driving manuals personally and on the farm.

In gear was the brake.

When I went to work for my first job with the milk haulers I got dragged into the office my 2nd day by 2 of the Chiefs.

According to them they had checked on my truck in the lot and the brakes weren’t set.

I apologized and said it would never happen again.

Whether I set them or not that previous day that reminder of theirs was a very subtle but serious thought implanted to always double check the knobs.

I have never left a truck unset since.

But I have opened the door probably 2 dozen times and pulled the knobs again to be sure I did

They were always pulled but sometimes things become too routine when you have other things on your mind.

If I could set up my personal truck to trip the brakes anytime the door was opened up And the truck was stopped I would.

8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    All this reminds me, I need to check my parking chambers, for a broken spring. My Freightliner’s only got them on 1 axle. My habit of only setting the Tractors parking brakes, can be a problem, with a heavy load, on the slightest hill, if ones broken, only leaving 1 working. I once saw a Volvo, slowly start to roll after pulling forward on the fuel island. Im pretty sure I heard him set the brakes, as he walked away, it rolled into a brand new parked Peterbilt

tommymonza Thanks this.
  9. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Usually when I shutdown for the day after I pull out the valves I purge the air tanks until I hear the spring brakes engage,which all but guarantees the truck isn’t moving anywhere.

When’s the last time anyone has done a brake bleed down on their truck?;)

Bud A., tommymonza and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i too, (if i had to leave the truck) would leave it in gear, as added protection, should someone slam into it, at the fuel island or in a truck stop spot. which we have all seen many pics of that happening.

of course, while sleeping, or any other reason i had the engine idling, it would be in N.

this is the disdain i have for newbies to NOT HAVE any clutch experiences.

it's is ONE thing to want to drive only an automatic, but to me, it is entirely necessary to also be TRAINED on a stick.

Bud A., mjd4277, flood and 2 others Thank this.
  11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    My Pinnacle actually has a warning beeper that goes off if you don't set the tractor brakes and open the driver's door.

Bud A. and tommymonza Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.