Repeal 34 reset

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mitmaks, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    “To the weak, I have become weak so that I may gain the weak...”

To the unreasonable, you have become unreasonable so that you may gain the unreasonable.

Well played.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    If you're going to have a 70/8 rule, you have to have a reset option for a lot of reasons. And who says you have to leave out precisely at 34 hours hours? With the 70/8 rule and without a reset option, and given the importance and abundance of appointments and JIT loads, the dangers of "waiting on midnight" would be a more frequent thing then it is now. Which begs the question, why are you making your arguments the way you are?

4. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    I'll go and boil your brains for a second...if you think a 34 hour reset is bad, can you even get your head around a 24 hour reset? See Regulations Section for reference. It's in 395.1(d)(1). I for one really appreciated the 24 hour reset when I worked oilfield.

5. Dixiegypsy

Dixiegypsy Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Don't sit at some hole. Last time I did a reset I rented a car and drove to Vegas for a very nice weekend.

6. tifosi

tifosi Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Please excuse my ignorance, I've just gotten back into OTR after owning a local hauling and grading business and then spending a few months in the oil fields (different rules).

Could some one please explain what y'all mean when you say recap?

Also, could someone please list the options and/or full HOS rules as I'm a bit confused what the options and rules are for OTR 48 state driving.

Thanks in advance!!

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Do your own research and study. This is a few of probably 100 different sites found under "HOS rules explained" Google search
    https://www.boltinsurance.com/truck-driver-hours-of-service-rules-101/

DOT Hours of Service (HOS) Rules - Frequently Asked Questions

8. tifosi

tifosi Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2018
    I'm trying to do the research!! LOL I found it actually since I posted that.

I still don't know what anyone means by recap though.

@STexan the bolt insurance link you posted is actually not correct (see what I mean by a lot of confusion out there.)

Bolt says "
    What are the Rules?

Workers are required, by law, to record their hours accurately in a log book. In the event of an accident, these logs are recovered to determine whether fatigue may have played a role in causing the accident. The new hours-of-service law changes the following for truckers according to the Department of Transportation website on the regulations.

• Truck drivers are now limited to a maximum workweek of 70 hours. Before the new regulations, the limit was 82 hours.
    • Drivers may resume driving after driving 70 hours within one workweek as long as they rest for 34 uninterrupted hours. These hours must include two nights, particularly between the hours of 1:00 and 5:00 AM, when the body clock needs sleep most.
    • Drivers must take a 30-minute break within the first eight hours of their shifts.
    • Additionally, drivers cannot drive for more than 14 consecutive hours following 10 consecutive off-duty hours.
    • "
    The last sentence is not correct, you can only drive up to 11 total hours before you must take a 10 consecutive hours off.

Anyway, here are the actual rules:

Summary of Hours of Service Regulations

So, still would like to know what this "recap" thing is. Thanks!!

9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Lets say you're leaving your home with 70 hr clock. Today is Monday and you drive 10hrs today. Next Tuesday you'll gain hours that you've used last Monday.

tifosi Thanks this.
  10. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Recap just means keeping track of the previous hrs in the preceeding 7 days so you know how many hrs you can work today without going over 70 hrs in 8 days.

However I would like to add that a reset gives you an extra 11 hrs to work in an 8 day period. 81 hrs in 8 days can be done legally.

tifosi Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Are you sure about that? A reset means you haven't done anything for 34 hours (more than 1 full 24 hour day). So you start your new 70. No way you can legally run 81 hours in 8 days from that point (or any point for that matter)

Take the garbage you heard at the Petro coffee counter and at the shade tree at CDL school with a grain of salt or better yet, cipher on it. Let us know how this is possible for the rest of us mortals who no longer have the ability to time-travel.

[​IMG]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.