Required clothing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GrumpyJoe, Mar 11, 2020.

1. GrumpyJoe

GrumpyJoe Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2019
    So not many companies require a uniform but what companies have specific in cab and out of cab attire? For instance some docks require steel toes, but will steel toe sneakers work? I am not a fan of steel toes but if I only had to wear them at a specific dock I would keep them by the drivers seat to change into when needed. Then again some places require long pants, jeans or canvas for protection, but how many drivers are short wearing folks? I also like my Keys Bib overalls at times. I can pull them up quickly and get out to please a customer.

So by company or dock regulations what are some of the boundaries? I am not a nudist but comfort is important. I also have winter bibs that are insulated like Carharts great for the short term comfort. Mud boots could also be needed in the rain states but pull overs would work as well I would think.

When hunting I can live out of a small duffel bag for 3 weeks. Ranger wipes most of the time and shaving weekly. I cannot imagine living in a truck would be much different other than more showers are available and laundry weekly a must. I do not want a lot of clothing in my way nor do I want 6 pairs of shoes. One good jacket, bibs and shorts. Naturally I will need fresh privies and socks too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had one pair of quality steel toe boots. Bought em at 21 and finally realized it will cost more than they are worth when soles finally wore through at 48. Threw them away. I wear standard walmart high tops with steel toes to this day. They don't look it. But easy enough to prove. Just stomp em. *DING!

Otherwise jeans and weather related clothing as needed. There were times Ive adapated to cold storage in winter and worked in shorts and tee shirt (With boots) unloading a -20 trailer by hand. (Not doing that again...)

One time I show up in Maryland, Williamsport at DM Bowman dispatch office. A air conditioned three tie vest suit land in there. Frosted windows in the 95 degree Maryland heat. I had spent a week in 110+ alabama and was dressed for it.

What did they do? Yell at me in 58 degree office.

That was easy enough. And started the process of getting the hell out of that stuffy suited up outfit. I like to stick all of them into Alabama 110 degree weather in their suits and see how they continue the work.

I don't do anything crazy with clothes, I keep one week on hand and have a set of bad weather and one for cold weather thats it. No reflective vests, shiney belts, fancy duds or company issued doo dads. If someone is going to kill you by motor vehicle nothing will help on your last day here on earth.

Regarding customers. If they want freight to leave here to go to B across the USA, they load it pronto. Never mind me. Me don't matter, if I tried to gussy up and dress to their code I will be right back to me in a hour 10 miles down the road.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some places don't allow sneakers, even if they are steel toed.
    ~
    Get a pair of slip-on steel toed boots so your ankles are also protected.
    They don't have to be tall boots; just tall enough to protect the ankles.
    Don't get lace-up boots as they can be a pain to deal with.

5. AM14

AM14 Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Jefferson Twp. NJ
    I would say just look presentable. Theres a thousand thread on here about acceptable attire. When I was bumping docks, I was always in pants and boots but that's my attire on my off days too so I never thought much of it. Steel toes didn't seem to be all that important customers but companies might require them. I prefer steel toes but I also had a pair of light hiking boots that looked the part. All depends on what you are going to be hauling and where though.

GrumpyJoe, truckdriver31 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Sketchers make a nice pair of solid black memory foam safety toe lace up sneakers that I’ve been wearing for close to 3 years now with no problems. A pair last me 6 months. Around $80 thru amazon. They have a few styles to choose from and one with pink trim for the ladies. My wife loves those.
    I think most places frown on the traditional white colored non lace up sneakers even if safety toe more than anything.

7. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    Evidently you can wear flip flops anywhere.

8. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    In 98% of the places I bump docks the dress requirements are typically the same . Close toe shoes are a must , at least half require safety vest . A couple industrial plants I delivered to require pants. I wear cargo shorts and nice comfortable running shoes , I have my hard hat ,safety glasses and vest if required.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  9. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    4696F8A6-FBD9-49D7-80A4-5BAED8DE11EF.jpeg C4FB00D2-4BE9-4032-9ACD-3BC9BB9F0D70.jpeg just spend the money.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    You must wear underwear. It can’t be showing. :)
    Here’s shoes that work good for me. All the lousy lots. Mud and water puddles. They work good for me. 1BDE909A-A6AF-439C-8E55-CC290ECD8C0A.jpeg Then I have my North Dakota shoes.
    2E666AA7-06FA-4E23-A654-D017FCE30F99.jpeg

misterG, D.Tibbitt, GrumpyJoe and 3 others Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    In the flatbed world 95% of the time u better have a hard hat , safety vest long sleeve long pants and closed toe shoes or u wont get passed the check in gate. And dont be the doofus that walks into a jobsite with no safety attire on.

Bean Jr., misterG, Rcranch81 and 9 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.