Required clothing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GrumpyJoe, Mar 11, 2020.

1. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    I havent had anyone question my boots, steel toe or not. I have had them demand a safety vest. Other than that, I try to remember I represent my company, so I dress casual but professional. The most I need is for getting out to chain up in -10. Then you want a couple layers of warm. Also fueling in 10 degrees with a 45 mph wind. There are washers in almost every truck stop, so a weeks worth of socks and undies is good.
    It really depends on what customers your company services. Apparently, mine stays away from the footwear issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I was a Timberland Pro guy for 10 plus years. Wore them 24/7 but they started playing too rough with my feet. They last a long time for sure. I still have a good pair I wear while doing really rough stuff and have a new still in the box pair I bought when I bought the sketchers just in case they didn’t work out.

x1Heavy, GrumpyJoe and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    I always wear shorts.
    unless they require pants then I change.
    have a pair of work boots that I put on too if required.
    I dont give a hoot who likes or dont like the way i dress. been wearing these since I started to buy clothes

GrumpyJoe, danny23tx and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I keep a pair of Belleville boots for rough days. Don't think they have steel toes in them.

Buying clothes is my least favorite activity. If you were to get a eyeful of my shelving you would understand my previous history as a pain patient at home. And some special clothing for post surgery etc near the pile of recently acquired medical equiptment too good to dispose of.

I might get a few more wranglers pants and a couple of goodies to go with them sooner or later. But my kingdom for a good square pair of boots like they used to make...

GrumpyJoe Thanks this.
  6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Most of the quarries I enter require jeans and steel toe boots. Some require long sleeves as well. And always a hard hat and safety vest.

One particular lime quarry I went to in Virginia had a nasty old mean lady in the scalehouse. She would call people in at random, look at their boots, and if she didn't like what she saw, she'd take a broom handle and hit your toes dagger style. One fellow didn't have steel toes on when she did this. Rumor has it she broke one of his toes. But he always had steel toes after that.

I haven't been there in years, but I heard she had a heart attack and died.

x1Heavy and GrumpyJoe Thank this.
  7. MTN Boomer

MTN Boomer Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2019
    Went in to jobsite at a plant, had a gate , when signing in was asked if I had a Hard hat and vest, yes standard , after unloading was talking to the fork lift driver. He told me another companies driver had refused to put on the safety gear, the company was barred from the job site. Some job sites are very strict, some aren't, I don't get out of the truck without everything on.

GrumpyJoe Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Pajamas are all the rage, these days.

GrumpyJoe Thanks this.
  9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
  10. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    650cat425, SmallPackage and Tall Mike Thank this.
  11. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I wear jeans, Carolina steel toes and a button-up grey Red Kap shirt with reflective striping on it every day. That way no matter where I go I don't have to change clothes or put on a safety vest. Just a hard hat. I'm not an "official" OTR driver but I'm gone 2-3 nights a week and I'm always comfortable wearing that attire

misterG, GrumpyJoe, D.Tibbitt and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.