Retriving data from a 2001, 379 electronic dash, how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy All,
    I just a couple of weeks ago bought a 2001 379, the truck didn't have any manuals with it and I am wondering if the ECM will display any data on the electronic dash and if it does how do you read it?

On my Freightliner there is a push button that you use to cycle through all the information that is stored, fuel milage, run time in hours, miles driven since last reset and a whole bunch of other information. Does the Pete store information like that? Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Dave

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Pete dashes do not have anything like that. The only exception is if the optional road relay was installed from factory.

4. Mr. Cob

Howdy pushbroom,
    Thanks for your reply I was hoping to hear different but it is what it is.
    Dave

5. bmburds

bmburds Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2013
    kentucky
    If you have a qcomm the vru will show, lifetime fuel Ave, engine hours, amount of fuel used, lifetime idle hours

6. Mr. Cob

Howdy bmburds,

I have no idea what a qcomm is, here is a photo of the dash maybe you can tell me if it has one.
    [​IMG]

Dave

7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Qualcom is an aftermarket GPS tracker/transmitter. Usually installed by fleets it is a separate keyboard hanging around by the passenger seat. It allows the trucking company to track the truck and deliver load instructions.
    Omnitracs-MCP200.jpg

8. Mr. Cob

Howdy pushbroom,

Nothing like that in this truck, it's always been an owner-operator truck, I am the forth owner I plan to use to the replace the Freightliner Columbia I have used for the last 4 years to drag my huge RV trailer around.

Dave

9. GypsyWanderlust

GypsyWanderlust Medium Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I would think you could pull that with a scan tool as long as the ECM stores it. Maybe your local shop would give you the info the next time you are in.

If you want your own, give these guys a call and ask them you can get that info before you pony up the money to buy the dongle. They have good reviews on the iPhone app store. They also support Android and the tool sells for $399 on their site.

HD Mobile | CanDo International

iCarSoft HD I says it will work with heavy trucks as well but didn't get very good reviews and I couldn't find much on that product. They are around $280.

www.icarsoft.us_Heavy_Duty_Scan_Tools

If you are a "Big Spender" you can always go Snap On but it is north of 18k. If you want one just call the local Snap On guy and he will drive right to your front door after his visible wood goes away.

PRO-LINK Ultra Vehicle Diagnostic Tool | Snap-on Diagnostics

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Qcomm = Qualcomm, a satelltie ternimal made for communications text style and satellite tracking by interested parties in following your truck.

11. Mr. Cob

Howdy GWL,

Thanks for the info and the link. When I bought the truck I got a full ECM scan so I know the trucks past history, I can hand figure mileage now and then so its no big deal was just wondering if the Pete kept track of such things and they were easily available to the driver.

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.