Rewinding Straps

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by waywardwind, Apr 23, 2018.

1. waywardwind

waywardwind Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Is there a commercial product available to attach to a portable drill or impact driver to rewind straps?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Yes, there are a few. You can also modify some of the products to work that way. Just do a google search.

4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I do not remember the name of the device, but the Iowa80 sells one. Its bright yellow. Has 2 styles. One for a flatbed height rubrail and one for stepdeck height. Maybe its on their website.

5. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
  6. Michael H

Michael H Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Arizona
    I take my straps off and store them inside a cabinet. To that end, I use a strap winder from TA. $15

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    I sometimes use a large allen key in the chuck of a cheap cordless drill if I'm keeping the straps on the trailer winches.

xsetra and Tug Toy Thank this.
  8. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA

Not sure if this is the unit I saw advertised in the Oak Grove MO Petro or not, but it is similar

9. I'm partial to winding up my straps put them in a cabinet. keeps shoppers from shopping and keeps them clean.

I still say it's quicker to throw over a load then unwinding to throw over load.

10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    It depends on your operation. If you’re draggin a wagon and the straps need to stay with that wagon when you swap to a different wagon, you usually need to leave em in the winches. Just use a big allen wrench in a cordless drill to wind em up on the winches.

If ya stay hooked to the same wagon all the time, or otherwise need to keep the straps with the TRUCK instead of the TRAILER, then you probably wanna take the straps out of the winches between loads. Use a strap winder.

RustyBolt Thanks this.
  11. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Manual winders take no time at all, and don't rely on electricity to function. Why the need for a power drill attachment? I can wind 20-24 straps and put them away in 5-10 minutes.

rank, Oxbow, Series50 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.