Ridiculous rates

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by skman, May 27, 2015.

1. jstephens

jstephens Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2013
    dayton ohio
    no one is getting 3 to 4 a mile right now running refer loads off a board over 400 miles .. theres too many people that are taking them loads for under 2 a mile.. going east is the only time you will get good money because theres nothing coming back.. but even right now the east stuff is going cheap.. the only way to get paid good per mile is to stay under 200 miles and even that has dropped. i use to do 100 mile loads for 5 to 600 bucks now its 350 to 450 if your lucky , ive been sitting at house more and more every week the past couple months .. i guess its time to finish up some home improvements lol

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567
    I agree on the reefer work via load boards. I bought mine in August and didn't start putting it to work until 2 weeks ago. Loads that tie your equipment up for the day seem to go for 600 based on what I see. That's watching a 300 mile radius of Binghamton NY. A few that paid into the 4/mile tied the truck up for 2 to 3 days. Spent 4 days watching, calling, getting setup, only to tell Mr broker "for reefer freight this is too low. Here's where I am at and this is why". I got the "I don't have anymore on the load." Only to see it increase then be taken for what still was below average. Sure I was upset, but I don't need to run, especially to only break even at the end of the week!
    Thought I finally had my first reefer load of cheese from Waverly NY to Charlotte NC, only to back out since rate confirmation didn't match agreed price. CHR sent it over for 800$, missing a 1 in there (a last minute load).
    Instead I've been using it as a luxurious dry van, lol. 2 furniture loads and xmas trees.
    I still can't wrap my head around people hauling cheap. So much $ is being left for the broker, who doesn't do their job well enough in my opinion.
    I strongly hope the ones that don't know their numbers get eliminated. I hate to think like that, but after the stupidity of some O/O's, they deserve nothing less.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Good brokers: (there are a few!)
    This is the load I have ...details.... What do you need to cover it? I'll call you back within five minutes.

Within five minutes a callback, I've got a rate confirmation coming over to you; or, they wouldn't bite on that, I'll catch you on the next one.

No "oh that's too much, that's more than I have in it, why so much, why are you mad I undercut your rate at a shipper and I'm trying to sell it to you half price" ########.

Integrity goes a long way. Honesty goes a long way. Ethics go a long way.

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I cant see rates rising because of Elogs. More trucks are running Elogs now than not. I am of the minority on paper logs,.. and my rates are actually better (IMO) because I am not restricted by an Elog,.. (Yet).

How ever,.. and this is my own fault. Took a modest paying load to San Antonio over the weekend. Been sitting all day today (Monday) because nothing paying worth enough to even start the truck. I'll sit here another day if I have to. Not sure which way to head,.. Houston not looking any better than Dallas. I hate coming into Texas with out setting up a way out.

Could be worse,.. could be up north in the snow.

Hurst

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    $1.15?

I turned down a 46k lb load today that was paying $1.56. Another wanted me to move a small dozer 300mi @ $1.25. I turned down 2 others today as well.

My dispatch is beside herself. Said she cant find anything. She takes it personally. I keep trying to ease her mind,.. dont worry,.. costs me almost nothing to sit. I have plenty of provisions. Generator running good. I am fine. I need money,.. But I am far from broke.

Personally I'd rather head home and park the truck till rates come back up. Carrier can turn off my insurance and it costs me nothing to sit at home. My wife makes more than enough to cover our bills. I just cant see loosing money to someone elses greed. If I cant earn enough to cover my expenses and put enough away to cover everything else, then there is no point in working just to break even.

Hurst

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  7. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I'm leased onto a carrier where our deal is flat mileage rate for terminal to terminal linehauls. When we deliver to an outside agent terminal that does not deal in outbound reloads, we have the option to book loads through a company agent for a percentage. These agents have gotten ridiculously cheaper and cheaper all year. It has gotten to the point I don't even answer the phone from them. My strategy now is to just deadhead to the nearest terminal for reloads rather than book some cheap rate freight to get me closer. I know the agents are hurting too because they call almost every day .

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  8. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I'd keep bouncing east. And head closer to the house for what it's worth. Louisiana is 50/50 but Mississippi and Bama should have something for sure

9. TaylorMade407

TaylorMade407 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Orlando,FL
    I asked him why such the huge gap and he said that they wanted volume of loads from the shipper. I can't even see pulling $1.15 per mile making any business sense for a medium sized carrier

Big_D409 Thanks this.
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Just like Walmart. The more you sell the cheaper you can sell it for. A large carrier can make $.15 cents per mile off 2,000 trucks and make money. Can a single truck operation? No.

skman and TaylorMade407 Thank this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte

The big carrier can squeeze another $0.07- $0.15 more by 'shorting' their drivers' miles on the loads too. Squeeze some more with big fuel discounts and tire chain discounts, in house mechanics, self insurance and so on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.